Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #11 
Elena

Update from today: he is not better, but he isn't worse either. I don't think this is fin rot - Oldfishlady, you were absolutely right to suspect the filter. I baffled the filter intake just in case and did another water change. I'm counting on his immune system to fend off infection. We'll have to see if the tea adds any benefit- so far he is stil hyper. He is a beautiful intense blue though so he must be happy :). How much longer do you think I should keep doing 5/7 water changes? I was hoping to be able to switch to a Mo-Wed-Fri schedule in a couple of weeks, does that sound reasonable? Also, have any of you ever had a fish that would not stop swimming and glass surfing all day long? And I mean all day. Mind you I am not watching him all the time - since I have work to do - but I have never seen him rest. Ever.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Usually with injuries it only takes 3-4 days for the area to heal up/over...longer for total re-growth..kinda like scabbing over but not...lol....anyway.....3-4 days of back to back water changes is all I do and then back on the regular schedule..plus one extra for another week and if the fish is fine...back to regular schedule water changes...look at the Betta he will tell you how many water changes are needed by their fins and behavior....

It can be a real challenge dealing with a surfer......sometimes you can add items in the tank but then you risk injury...cause if they want to surf they will surf...lol.....cover the outside walls and see if that helps....maybe a glare from the office lights is the cause-if he stops with all the sides covered-leave them for like a weekend and then uncover one side at a time to his tolerance...may or may not help......thats a tough one......like tail biting......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #13 
danipar09

hello. i'm kinda looking for help with the fin rot, fin loss situation. i have two bettas. one male and one female. they are in a 2.5 divided gallon tank. i got both for christmas and i noticed that my male had fin rot. so we went to the store and got tablets for the tank. they worked wonders. white patches cleared up and everything was good with my male. well yesterday while feeding them i noticed my male, a halfmoon had lost the middle part of his back fins. but everything else is fine. no sign of fin rot, he is eating right, water changes every week and partial water changes every other day. the fin was not torn, and honestly it looks like a clean cut.
anyways, so i changed their water yesterday as soon as i finished feeding. put another tab in the water and added my water conditioner. i have gravel and rounded rocks and one plant on each side. nothing really worries me except for the gravel. my male does have a tendency to go chill in the corner at the bottom for some reason. he doesn't do it much or for long but i figured it might be something to consider. anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.
danipar09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipar09 View Post
hello. i'm kinda looking for help with the fin rot, fin loss situation. i have two bettas. one male and one female. they are in a 2.5 divided gallon tank. i got both for christmas and i noticed that my male had fin rot. so we went to the store and got tablets for the tank. they worked wonders. white patches cleared up and everything was good with my male. well yesterday while feeding them i noticed my male, a halfmoon had lost the middle part of his back fins. but everything else is fine. no sign of fin rot, he is eating right, water changes every week and partial water changes every other day. the fin was not torn, and honestly it looks like a clean cut.
anyways, so i changed their water yesterday as soon as i finished feeding. put another tab in the water and added my water conditioner. i have gravel and rounded rocks and one plant on each side. nothing really worries me except for the gravel. my male does have a tendency to go chill in the corner at the bottom for some reason. he doesn't do it much or for long but i figured it might be something to consider. anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you will make a new thread in the Disease and Emergency section...just hit the new thread tab-copy and paste the info list in the sticky to give us all the information...... you will get better response and lots of help...we have great number of members that will be happy to help you out...welcome to the forum btw....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #15 
danipar09

Thanks alot. I was really worried about him because he was sick when we got him but it took me about a week to figure it out, then we got him tablets and it cleared up. i've still been using them, but in smaller doses and i'm following the directions to the t. i also have noticed he recently got a white thing on his side. it's not ich but im not completely sure it's fin rot either.
again, thanks. i will post a new threat with all the info.
danipar09 is offline   Reply With Quote