Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #11 
Ghaladhriel

Well, as expected (hubby did warn me) it looks like he had extensive wounds, he did not make it past 4am :( I checked up on him at 1am but but by 4 he was gone... thank you so much for your help... now I'm thinking how to break te news to youngest since he loved his little fish. this morning I told him he was sleeping (sending him to school crying was not a good idea) we will hold a small funeral for him, seems that might soothe him also.

On another note is there a way I can find information on bettas (not much on care, but history) I would like to print it out and read it with him. better to educate ourselves on Betta behaviour and such (I did this with my oldest who has anole lizards, great idea since we now know what to expect) thank you :)
Ghaladhriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #12 
kfish

Oh no! I really thought he would be okay... :( I'm sorry...

I found a few sites with history, but a lot of them made it really complicated.

This site is really good for simple explanations of betta care and everything else (it's the first site I devoured about bettas), and the history explanation is really cute.
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_history.htm

Here's another one:
http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Betta-Origins.shtml
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #13 
HayrideHaunter

I'm sorry to hear about your boy!

I haver a 6 year old brother...his betta passed a couple months ago...it was rough but he's alright now!

I want to thank you for being a parent that really reads up on this stuff. My parents, despite the fact that I am 19 and in college, caring for several plants and my own betta buddy (Marbles!), will not listen to my suggestions. I do plenty of research on fish and stuff, because I love my boy to death...right now my brother has a 14gal in his room with 4 guppies...its a really messy tank, and they feed the guys WAY too much, so the tank is littered with sunken flakes. They seem mostly healthy, but two have what appears to be finrot. if i were to try and suggest water changes and such theyd get angry and tell me theyre doing what the petstore employees tell them =(...

anywho scuse the ramble, there are a ton of people on here who's parents wither wont listen to them about taking care of fish, when it comes to needing rides to pick up medication or changing water or having a larger bowl. Its really refreshing and nice to see a parent who is looking things up and trying to give their pet a good life. There are a few on here...its wonderful =)

good luck with your next one! I hope your little one takes it alright!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #14 
Ghaladhriel

Thank you guys! I love our pets very much that not doing proper research is just not right for them (I did the same when we were looking towards adopting a dog) we have opted for small animals a enjoy their company very much (my research also stems from childhood, lost a lot of fish that way due to lack of info from my parents part) I educated my oldest child on anole lizards and gave him printed information plus downloaded and app that's all about lizards for him. we are very aware of their health and well being, my mistake was not doing the same with my youngest child. he couldn't believe that his fish would jump out of his bowl (had to show him the info) talking to the pet store personnel is definitely not enough so now when he is ready to bring a new fish home we will be better informed :)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #15 
Ghaladhriel

As for youngest? he is heartbroken and misses the little guy badly. I am thankful for bumping into this site :) we will create a memorial for him later tonight (he picked the pics already) hopefully that will help him feel better (actually it did, he realized he is not the only one who has lost their friend). Again thank you so much for your support, it's apreciated
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #16 
Marona

Maybe set up the tank first before you get the next betta. That way they only have to acclimate to one new tank when you get them home. :) If you get a 10gal you have room to add more common fish. I dunno about you but I think the most fun for me so far has been planning my tank set up!
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #17 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaladhriel View Post
As for youngest? he is heartbroken and misses the little guy badly. I am thankful for bumping into this site :) we will create a memorial for him later tonight (he picked the pics already) hopefully that will help him feel better (actually it did, he realized he is not the only one who has lost their friend). Again thank you so much for your support, it's apreciated
thats good, that this helps him =)

you tell your little one he's not alone. my brother is only six. He has the 14gal because his boy, Bubbles, passed a couple months ago. He was very upset, but he is alright now. Your little one isnt alone a bit =)
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #18 
BettasForever

This happened to my Comet and he fell on the freezing tile floor D: He had no problems though, and I've had him for a month. :)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #19 
BlackberryBetta

Ok first of all, take him off the feeding blocks. Only give those when you are on vacation. Give him real food like flakes, pellets or worms.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #20 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
Ok first of all, take him off the feeding blocks. Only give those when you are on vacation. Give him real food like flakes, pellets or worms.
Hey Blackberry? Read the rest of the thread...her betta passed =(

Tags
breathing, fall, injured, jump