Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #1 
Kestrel

Question Diatoms and Silk Plants

I've been having another instance of diatoms in my 10 gallon tank recently, and if my information is correct I just need to do a gravel cleaning and more water changes and it should clear up, right?

That's not the biggest thing I'm worried about though. I had a plant with silk flowers on it before but when I noticed I had diatoms they made wonderful brown spots all over the flowers and they wouldn't clean off, so I threw it out. Well now it's affecting my pretty purple silk plant and I really want to know if there's a way I can clean off those ugly spots.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #2 
baylee767

Yes! There is a possibility the diatoms are in your tap water like mine. So, I'm planning on getting zebra nerite snails. These snails can not breed in fresh water, look beautiful, and eat a main diet of algae and diatoms! look it up on google, it's just a myrical for those of us forced to deal with diatoms!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
Kestrel

Ooooo, they sure are pretty! I just wish I had a fish store around here that sold them, because buying them online would be expensive.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 
baylee767

I believe some places only sell them for a dollar or two... can't remember where though...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diatoms staining