Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #1 
briser

Plant help?

I took a trip to the pet store yesterday and discovered little containers with water and live plants for fish tanks for about 15 dollars each and it said the name (which I forget) and said "easy plant" on the container.
I wanted to know if there are any plants that can't be put in a tank with a betta and also how do you go about "planting" and is there any special care? Do plants make water changes different?

If there is already a thread answering these questions could you point me in the right direction? And if not could you let me know from your experience?
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Can you get the name of the plant or post a clear pic.....different plants require different care.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #3 
Crazykat

Make sure that any plant you buy is actually aquatic. Pet store people tend to be clueless and some of the plants that are marked as for aquariums are actually not.
Here's an article that I go back to a lot when pet store people try to sell me plants that aren't actually aquatic *cough umbrellaplant cough*
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...eepoutfw.htm?h=
For the rest of your questions, see OFL's comment above.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
Make sure that any plant you buy is actually aquatic. Pet store people tend to be clueless and some of the plants that are marked as for aquariums are actually not.
Here's an article that I go back to a lot when pet store people try to sell me plants that aren't actually aquatic *cough umbrellaplant cough*
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...eepoutfw.htm?h=
For the rest of your questions, see OFL's comment above.

Thats a real cool site.I like the little snail chart thing they have. I want a nerite snail but I have been to 5 diffrent pet stores and no one has them here!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

That site wetwebmedia link you posted-has a lot of good information, however, it also has a lot of inaccurate information as well...just what I skimmed over I seen at least 5 inaccurate statement or out dated that have since been corrected with scientific research...one big one off the top.....it is nitrite not nitrate that salt help the toxicity of.......anyway...just saying you have to be careful with information on the internet and sometimes a myth is repeated so many times that it then becomes fact...when it is still only a myth....just sayin.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #6 
Crazykat

So very true and thanks for the info! I actually just skimmed the rest of the article since I'm really only interested in the plant part. I just think it's a handy chart of the commonly sold plants that shouldn't be sold as aquarium plants. I like charts. They satisfy my OCD soul. :D
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote