Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 
Abby

Stupid benny :( *several pictures*

my beautiful butterfly Benny has chewed his tail and dorsal to bits. both males i got together (Benny and melvin) have both now destroyed their dorsals plus bennys tail..

he was in a small container because the petshop couldnt hold them any longer, when melvin tore his dorsal to bits i moved him int the only free tank i had, he hasnt touched his tail since. so i thought, told my bf my thought and he got a bit of glass and cut it to size and we divided melvins square tank on the angle.

MY QUESTION: Benny was originally bought with curled fins Will his fins grow back straight or recurl? pics of before the fin chewing and after

Melvin and Benny doing a "Im the man" dance on either side of their divider

and for the record books Melvins "fierce" look:

Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
Crazykat

Do you mean the ends of his fins were curly? The curled ends of fins are something that happens in hard water, not a genetic trait. My first betta had a dorsal with curls at the tip when I brought him home. So, if your water is hard, I would imagine they would grow back curly. By the way, both of your boys are beautiful, even with gnawed fins!
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #3 
Abby

Yes ive heard that and did see some improvement in the last week but now hes gone and eaten them. he gets PLENTY of food but i think it was boredom. he did it in about half an hour mind you little squirt. but now he and melvin are dancing up and down their dividers dancing lol they both have some java moss and ill be buying some melafix tomorrow.
Not sure to our water situation but there was improvement in bennys fins so must be softer.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 
bettafish15

He could have tailbitten from the stress of seeing the other male all the time... maybe put some plants against that clear divider? Sucks about his fins, they were so pretty ):
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
He could have tailbitten from the stress of seeing the other male all the time... maybe put some plants against that clear divider? Sucks about his fins, they were so pretty ):

Benny has just been moved into the divided tank, he was in his own container by him self blocked (so he couldnt see Dastan) next to D's tank
hopefully they will grow back ok.