Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #1 
NightxFury

I think he's missing a chunk of his lip.

What I originally thought might have been some kind of cotton mouth/bacteria/fungal infection is starting to look different. While I was peering at one of my new babies earlier today, I'm pretty sure he's missing a chunk of his lip. I'm not sure how this happened (as I'm not sure how the bettas are kept before they're put into individual cups), but he had it when I got him.

He seems to be healthy and enjoying his new, spacious environment. He's exploring his 1 gallon vase and swimming around, as opposed to when I first got him and he was moping around on the bottom. He's also responding well to feeding cues already and is curious about my finger when I put it to the glass.

I have some Melafix that I bought when I got him and the other fish I bought (since Wal*Mart keeps them in terrible conditions), and the bottle says to use it daily for a week and then to do a 25% water change. However, he's only kept in a 1 gallon container, which I've read I should change every other day. So, I'm conflicted on what kind of care to give him. Suggestions?
NightxFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #2 
kelly528

Don't use melafix or betta fish on anabantoids like bettas or gouramis. The melaluca is harmful to their labyrinth organs.

Is the spot on his lip an open wound or a physical deformity?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #3 
NightxFury

I can't quite tell. It doesn't seem to be causing him any trouble so it might be a physical deformity.

I have another one who has some fraying/tears in his fins and I'd been using Melafix for that too. What should I use instead to help take care of his fins? : /
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

Usually clean, warm water and a bit of aquarium salt will help torn fins. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
NightxFury

Can betta fish gasp or cough, by the way?

Every once in a while I hear these really soft sounds, like metal tinking together underwater, and when I look up at him he looks like he's coughing or choking (but it's not right after I've fed him, or anything). Then he rushes to the surface to breathe.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 
NightxFury

While I was changing his water, I got a better look at him, and I'm pretty sure it's not just a physical deformity. Unfortunately my camera is terrible at taking pictures of things like that, but it looks sort of red and white in color (mostly white, but then with some visible red surrounding it). I'm hoping to make a pet store run tomorrow to buy a lid, a heater, and some aquarium salt. Will the salt help with his lip? And is there any harm in putting it in a tank with a fish who doesn't seem to have any problems as long as you do regular water changes?