Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #1 
jespenguin

Beginning a sorority

Hi, I've been reading through here for a few days an decided to register and get my own advice:) So let me start by saying I'm not a complete Newb to fish keeping(no seasoned expert) but I do have a planted 55 community, and a very happy male betta in his own heated 5.5. So here's what I've got, a 38 gallon currently fishless cycling. I would really like to turn it into a sorority, so I need lots if advise. I know I need lots of hiding spots, but I feel I have the space to pull it off. My boyfriend says and I quote,"that's lame to have just one kind of fish." So I'd like some options there, I already have neons, black skirts, guppies, kuhli loaches in my 55 so I'm looking for a different variety:) I know this seems lengthy but I want all my bases covered. If I left anything out, or you have any input I would love to hear about it. I'm only a week in my cycle so I've got time, just preparing:)
jespenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 
shinybetta

I don't advise sororities, but if you really want one then you need to buy the females as sisters at the same age that have never been apart. Don't get frustrated if it doesn't work out, some females are just very anti-social....
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #3 
jespenguin

I am prepared to seperate, return as needed. I forgot to ask what would be a good number of bettas, I don't want anything huge like 25 lol, but a good solid number to go with other fish.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #4 
vilmarisv

I succesfully set up my sorority with no problems.
I had them all in separate containers with constant water changes and then it all came to me in a dream SOOO much easier if I had them all as a sorority DUH!
I placed them in beanie baby boxes all next to eachother for a week so they could see eachother and interact. Then I placed them all at once in the tank. Mine aren't sisters and had been living on their own for a while at my place. Once the chasing stopped they all get along just fine. There was no nipping and no one is running for their lives.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 
shinybetta

Yes, but you still have to be very careful. My females were fine for months, then fighting broke out, they got stressed, and then got diseased and died. OFL said the same thing in reply to my thread. However, you could do 13 or so if you want.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #6 
shinybetta

Also, as for other fish many of the smaller plecos will do great. Corydoras catfish as well. These are some of my favorite fish and I wouldn't set up a tank without them. Don't get a common pleco, they grow huge. I would recommend Bristlenose for first time pleco keepers. You can any corydoras, so long as their are at least 4. Hatchetfish are great too! Shrimp are definitely good. You could also do glass catfish, if the betta is gentle with them. Glass catfish are clear!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...so true, sororities can be a challenge especially in smaller tanks, however, I see you have a 38gal-this will work much better and increase your chances for success

I would get tall plants and plant them in several different places-back, sides, middle-this will help to break the line of sight-since Bettas are more top dwelling fish-by having tall items to allow them to get to the surface without being seen can sometimes help with aggression issues...true they need lot of hiding places-but most of these hiding places need to be at the surface as much as the bottom and mid section-low growing plants work well for this too....someplace for them to run and hide behind.....

Since you have time-you may want to look around for local fish club and/or Betta clubs-this is a great place to get your females....then you can get a young group of sisters-this will really increase your chance of success and they may be cheaper to get 12-15 females.

In a heavy planted 38gal-I agree with shinnybetta-you could also add 6-8 corydoras and either a BN pleco or 5-6 ottos to give more interest/movement to the tank and a little help with algae and clean up of left over food, however, mixed species with Bettas can sometimes be a feeding challenge...lol.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #8 
jespenguin

Ohk, so 12-15 will be my magic number? And I basically watch my aquariums like tv so a constant eye will be there:) I really like hatchets and glass catfish, I know one school will end up in my 55, now the other can be in my 38, best of both worlds! I'll look into some taller decorations like plants, maybe driftwood. Thanks so much, this is all very helpful!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #9 
scootshoot

That's a nice size tank, you will be fine. I have a 5 female sorority going in my 14, frankly am surprised with some negativeness towards sorority tanks as I am real pleased with the direction mine is going. Yes there are some give me elbow room moments during feeding time but it's never a constant thing. One female may chase another for a second or two but then ignore em for hours on end.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

live bearers bad

Don't have any fertile live-bearing fish larger than guppies in your sorority, I ran into a near apocalyptic event with a female molly dropping babies. My girls swarmed the babies and stuffed themselves on toxic new fry. Live bearer babies have exceptionally high toxicity when they first come out and I lost quite a bit of social continuity because I had to replace half the sorority wherever I could get girls. Ended up getting from four different stores.

Two of those baby males are in the tank half grown with my sorority and they're fine happy tankmates, constantly chasing each other around. I also have a pair of bloodfins or you can go with roberti bloodfins "green fire" NEVER any trouble between the bloodfins and the girls.

The "magic number" for a sorority is how many you can give attention to about three times a day. They can get just as depressive or scared as males.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-14-2011 at 01:30 AM. Reason: removed secret coded message from afterlife
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, comparability, sorority