Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #11 
Theraggy1

^^ I have a sorority with 7 girls 3 corydoras and 2 snails in a 20 gal, Your gonna need a hide for each girl to claim and TONSSSS of plants for them to hide in. plus places for any other fish you want to add with them. BUt you will always need tons and tons and tons of plants. These girls are evill when they are mad, and often times they will chase and nip each other. Nips and Tares in the fins are common however as long as you keep Aqua salt in the tank your girls should be fine. As long as no one is stress striping your good. Some will have bad days though :{ and go on a rampage and lash out at the others. The key to a good sorority is Plants plants plants plants plants.
Theraggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #12 
jespenguin

Well I will definitely get the plants, I'm trying to avoid real. I'm always worried about lights, ferts, etc in my 55 gallon so I don't want too much hassle there. Especially if i have to rearrange lots if theres too much aggression. But I will get nice silk, I just have to get a nice set up so it doesnt look like a hodge podge of things lol
jespenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #13 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespenguin View Post
Well I will definitely get the plants, I'm trying to avoid real. I'm always worried about lights, ferts, etc in my 55 gallon so I don't want too much hassle there. Especially if i have to rearrange lots if theres too much aggression. But I will get nice silk, I just have to get a nice set up so it doesnt look like a hodge podge of things lol

Apnogoten bulbs are a nice one even if the rest are silk, they're easy to keep, don't need tons of light and you can trim off leaves when they take a little damage without worry of harming the plant. They're also the easiest ones to get to reproduce, they'll toss out shoots that turn into floating bulbs. when the leaves on the bulblet are about inch and half long, just pinch the stem leading to it and plant or throw out the bulblet. Soft long leaves and lots of gentle shade underneath they're commonly called betta bulbs. If you buy them as bulbs, don't buy any that have white fuzz on them in the packet.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #14 
jespenguin

I bought a pack of those a couple days ago, and I have them in an old fish bowl with a root tab under a light to see if they'll grow. If it works out and does well in my planted I'll definitely buy more for the 38 gallon, have you ever tried the Lilly bulbs. Also, do you think banana plants would be ohk, with the low light I don't think they'll make it to the top of the tank, but I think it would me decent mid coverage?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Don't have any fertile live-bearing fish larger than guppies in your sorority, I ran into a near apocalyptic event with a female molly dropping babies. My girls swarmed the babies and stuffed themselves on toxic new fry. Live bearer babies have exceptionally high toxicity when they first come out
I have never heard this before.....I keep livebearer with my Bettas to free range feed off the newborn fry for at least the past 10 years now and have never had any problems....do you have a link I would love to read it....

Long term aquarium salt is not recommended- when used in the wrong dosage, duration, reason- it can create resistance issues and long term high dosage can cause kidney damage not to mention a lot of the aquatic plants and other species of fish can be sensitive...

Its a great product to use for short term controlled treatments when used in the correct amount, duration and reason....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #16 
jespenguin

I know I have time before I can add my fish, but should I start purchasing bettas now, so I can watch their behavior and make sure they are healthy? I would keep them in they're containers and do daily PWC's. Then when everything is ready add 3 at a time 3 days apart till I hit all 12. I know you should add together, but that's a lot for one time. Any other suggestions? Oh and if theyre tails are ratty should I get somethinglike bettafix to add to they're containers?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #17 
scootshoot

As a fyi one of the main issues in sorority setups as you will soon find out is how to control their feeding. A single male betta setup, the fishkeeper may drop 2-3 a pellets twice a day etc. A sorority community it's not so easy as the faster more alert female(s) are gonna end up getting the brunt of the pellets.

I do recommend you purchase Daphnia as this sort of food type will spread out atop the water and the slower less alert females will get equal share this way.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #18 
bettafish15

Bettafix is bad, and it damages their labryinth organ. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #19 
jespenguin

I don't think I've ever noticed daphnia, where exactly is it sold? I will check my LFS, but I have petsmart and petco around here. And for the ratty fins (which I think is almost always in the ones I've seen around here) just good water quality and PWC to do the trick?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #20 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespenguin View Post
I don't think I've ever noticed daphnia, where exactly is it sold? I will check my LFS, but I have petsmart and petco around here. And for the ratty fins (which I think is almost always in the ones I've seen around here) just good water quality and PWC to do the trick?
I get mine at Pet Supplies Plus. Our local Petco / Petsmart does not carry Daphnia, maybe yours will ....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, comparability, sorority