Betta Fish Forum banner

Setup advice?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  LolaQuigs 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! :)
I want to get a betta within the next couple of months, but I want to have the tank set up soon so it can cycle. I'd set up the tank I have now, but it's only a .9 gallon tank and I want something bigger and better for my next betta. As of right now, I'm looking into getting the 2.5 Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium which comes with a filter and cartridge, and then buying one of those hydor mini heaters for 2-5 gallon tanks.

Does this seem like a reasonable setup? If not, what would you suggest instead?

I kind of wanted a sponge filter instead of the filter the tank comes with because a sponge filter seems like it'd be cheaper to maintain... but I don't know where I could find one of those.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help. :)

#2 ·
Hello ~
That sounds like a good setup, the mini bow.
I have that one, and while for me the light switch stopped working, I just changed to using a lamp light. BUT many people have great reviews on the minibow, including the light, so I might have messed that up or it was just random thing that happened.
I have the hydor mini heater too, it's lasted since around August 010,
till now, still working. I leave it on at all times so the temperature will stay the same. Just always check first that there are no defects in the setup or the heater. A thermometer is great to know the temp.
And make sure you get a test kit, API freshwater test kit is GREAT. I still have it and I got it a few years ago.
Do you know about cycling the tank?

#4 ·
I've been reading up on cycling tanks and I'm planning on checking with my dad to make sure everything I'm doing is right. It's been awhile since I've taken care of bettas (or any other kind of fish), but all my reading has been kind of a review. I remember doing the fish food method as a kid. haha.

Anyway, I read a lot of the reviews for the mini bow and people seem to like it the most over some of the other tanks I've been looking at. None of the reviews I remember reading said anything about the light switch not working though. :/ That's good to know.
I'll definitely make sure to get thermometer and check for defects in the heater. I don't want to end up cooking my betta. lol. And I've been looking into getting that test kit too.
Thank you for all the advice. :)

#3 ·
MiniBows are very good tanks but I've had the base where the lightbulb sits break on 2 of mine within 2 or 3 months of having them... so the light doesn't work!
I've heard good reviews of this one which is cheaper and bigger than the MiniBow
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium/14660258
and, of course, Walmart also has the 10 galon kit for about $30 in store... I have two of those and they are very good tanks.
If you're cycling the tank, it's best if you never change the filter cartridge, just change the carbon and rinse it when doing water changes.

#5 ·
That 5 gallon tank from Walmart does look nice and, like you said, it's bigger. I'll have to see how much the mini bow is in stores at petsmart though since right now it's advertised as being $20 online.
A 10 gallon tank would probably be too big for me unfortunately. :/ I don't have the space on my desk for a tank that size.
But thank you for the tips, and the other tank option. :)

#8 ·
I have both the 2.5 Mini Bow and the Hawkeye 5 gallon. The base in my light of the 2.5 gal broke too, for what seemed to be no reason. The 2.5 is on sale at the store for $29.99, and you have to tell them to get the discount. I would go with the Hawkeye for the happiness of betta, though both work well. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.