Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #11 
turtle10

Bettas can't survive on distilled water, it lacks the minerals they need to survive. And you NEED to get a heater asap.

Also, you tank looks smaller than one gallon.

Last edited by turtle10; 02-03-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: left out important info
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #12 
ansalong

Sorry this is so long!!

Thanks for the pic, Thunder 22. It looks to me like he is biting his tail (my guy did that for days when he first came home and it looks similar, I think. Pic below. He didn't bite off as much as your guy has, but I think it's what's happening.

Search the forum for some threads on tail biting. They do it for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's from stress, sometimes their tails are too heavy (especially if they're tiny) and sometimes it's just a habit without any apparent cause. Since you have had your fish for a while and he just started, I think it's probably not habit and that there is something stressing him out about his environment.

Which brings us back to the water temperature and conditioning. I think changing those things will solve both your problems - it will perk him up and he should stop biting his tail. If you do these things and his tail still has problems, we'll deal with it then, but these are the first steps and are likely to fix everything.

Don't use distilled water, as turtle10 says. Unless there is something wrong with your tap water, you should use it because it has beneficial minerals for your fish. It just also has harmful chemicals, and using a water conditioner will remove the harmful chemicals without removing the good stuff. There are a lot of water conditioners around that are perfectly fine, though a lot of us recommend Seachem PRIME. I think it is better at combating ammonia, and it is SUPER concentrated so you only use two drops per gallon and it lasts you forever. It also doesn't cloud the water like some conditioners do. Here's my recommendation:

Shopping List:
Small heater suitable for 1 gal bowl
Seachem PRIME conditioner
Thermometer (if you don't have one already)
Aquarium Salt
API Liquid Test Kit

Prepare fishy's water the night before in a 1 gal container. Fill it with tap water, add 2 drops of PRIME (from a small dropper) and 1tsp Aquarium Salt. I have a second heater that I use to warm the water to exactly the same temperature as in his tank, but you have to make sure that your container is heat safe, and not everyone can get a second heater. If you can, it works very well for me. If not, just let the container with PRIME and aq. salt stand overnight. The next night, test the water parameters with your liquid test kit and make sure there is no evidence of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, that the water is not too hard or too soft, and that your pH is between 6.8 and 7.2. Then remove fishy and perform 100% water change. After adding the new water, add your heater and thermometer. When everything is arranged, add him back in the tank.

You want him to go back into the tank before the water is heated so he doesn't get heat shock. The water will warm slowly with him in it. Monitor his temperature every day. Even a small heater will sometimes warm the water too much in a 1 gal tank, and you may want to turn it off for a while.

Repeat your water changes every night, and include the 1tsp Aquarium salt for 10 days for his fins. After 10 days stop the salt but continue the PRIME always. If he continues biting, you see black edges, or his fins don't start to grow back within a couple weeks, come post in the Betta Diseases and Emergencies section.

Let us know how it goes!
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #13 
Thunder22

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...08657585877348

Here is a much better quality video on facebook. It shows him swimming and a close look at Thunder's tail.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #14 
Thunder22

Red face

We have been using distilled water ever since I got him. It said on instructions that I got with him to only used distilled water, and only change 2/3 of his water. I trusted the package but I'm not sure now. You would think they put correct infromation on his container.

I also think he didnt bite his tail. it is a pretty clean cut. After I had cleaned his water after I noticed his tail, there were a couple tiny chunks of his tail. They were TINY though.

His tank is one gallon. It just wasn't full in my avatar!

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Theyve also tried to tell me a dead betta was just sleeping as it was rotting away and floating head down >_>

Honestly, I wouldnt trust them worth anything.

I had two bettas who lived in distilled water (back before I knew better, back before I knew they dont actually like small spaces..back when I was 8 T-T) but it was mostly because the water I had wasnt suitable for my fish to live comfortably in.

Trust me, just get a bottle of conditioner for like $5 max and use your tap water. Youre gonna end up spending a lot less money, too.

And in that small of a bowl, you really need to do 100% changes. Like, at tops 50% every day 100% every other. :(

They have critter keepers for cheap (I mean it, really not pricey!) that are like 3 gals, so you could even get a heater :B!!! Yay!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #16 
turtle10

I saw the video, and honestly it looks a bit smaller than one gallon. Also the reason he might be tail biting is because he is bored, get him some soft plants or decorations. Bettas don't really like empty, open spaces.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #17 
bettakeeper91

Do you also feed him 4 pellets in the morning? If you do that is too much. Feed him 2 in the morning and 2 at night. It speads it out and also comes to 4 pellets a day. That will contribute to a healthy weight. ;)
bettakeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #18 
Thunder22

pewpewpew - thank you so much! I will look into that and I will try to buy those things asap!

Bettakeeper91 - And I only feed him four pellets a day . I usually spread them out so he doesn't eat them all at once

Turtle10 - yes I am positive it is a one gallon. You can stop saying that now.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Although 2 gallons or larger is recommended, a betta will be fine in a gallon container as long as water changes are kept up with.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #20 
Thunder22

Sadly, Thunder died most likely of old age early this morning.

RIP Thunder
June 9th 2009
February14th 2011
Valentines Day