Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1 
Kpoo97

Please, never buy a betta fish from Petsmart.

Why? I'll tell you why.

Yesterday, I went over to the betta area of my local Petsmart. There was a fish, who was dead, and it looked like the cup hadn't been cleaned in a week. And you know how small those cups are and how frequently they need to be changed.

Secondly, I bought my first betta fish in YEARS recently. I week after I bought him, he died. We were going to my puppy's training class on Sunday so we thought we'd go ahead and grab one while we were there, which I soon named Comet. As of today, Comet is dead and I only had him 2 weeks.

Lastly, wondering why their prices are so cheap? Well that's how much they pay to maintain their betta cups.

Please take this into consideration. Although Petco is a little more expensive, I'd rather go there and get a betta that lasts 2 years like my very first one and not get one that will only last a week or two.

Signed,
-Kpoo97
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Really? The one I got from Petsmart has been healthier and lasted longer than a few of the ones I got from Petco. It REALLY depends on the individual store.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Unfortunately it depends on the individual store. Some have good staff and others don't. The Petsmart here actually takes the best care of their fish out of any in the area. The Petsmart here feeds their fish daily and does water changes at least once a day, I've seen them do two in a day.

I always recommend going to all stores and look at how they treat their animals, the one that does it properly is the one you should shop at regardless of chain.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 
Kpoo97

If I can remember, I'll take my camera to Petsmart when we go on Sunday and take pictures of the fishes. Then I'll file a report with corporate offices about it.

But yes, most of the fish were either 50% alive/dead or 25% alive/ 75% dead. They were in horrible condition.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #5 
Kpoo97

And Maltvolti, I'll check that out. But I won't be getting a betta until I'm %100 caught up on all my homework and all.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #6 
alidawn15

We spent quite a bit of time looking at all the animals scaly and furry the day we got Dobby and I didn't see a single dead/dying animal in the des moines IA petsmart. However the employee i talked to has several bettas and multiple other fish of her own.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

I have never seen a dead betta at my Petsmart. They all look pretty healthy. I wouldnt have to buy bettas from them if the only fish store around here didnt close. Despite that, I dont mind having to buy bettas from them.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 
bettagirl28

Maybe it's just your own local store because @ my Petsmart, the bettas are all healthy and active every time I visit. Their cups are always clean.

I got my betta from Petsmart 3 years ago and he is still alive and got another betta again recently and he's still well.

@ Petco, there are a few dead ones or sluggish ones
bettagirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #9 
Luliyuhrouwn

I'm only responding to this because I work at petsmart. It is most definitely dependent on the store, and I would absolutely report that. Our bettas water is changed every single day, and only once in over three years have ever seen a dead fish on the sales floor (it was not a betta but a small goldfish). We do our best to keep all our pets happy and healthy, and if there are dead fish and dirty water someone is not doing their job. I'm sorry for the loss of your pet, and also for the conditions of the poor fish at that store.
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #10 
Luliyuhrouwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpoo97 View Post
If I can remember, I'll take my camera to Petsmart when we go on Sunday and take pictures of the fishes. Then I'll file a report with corporate offices about it.

But yes, most of the fish were either 50% alive/dead or 25% alive/ 75% dead. They were in horrible condition.
Also, they will probably not allow you to take pictures inside the store. I know the petsmart I work at doesn't for lots of reasons, mostly safety because we have a boarding facility on site. Just an FYI
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote