Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

A few questions about live foods

To start off, there seem to be NO pet stores with fish supplies near me, the closet being 40 minutes away or something, and my mom doesn't want to go ALL the way to the city just so I can get stuff for my baby, Valentino.

I want to get him live food, I was thinking brine shrimp, but Wal-Mart clearly doesn't sell it (if they do, then I sure haven't seen it).
Would it be alright if I bought some eggs off the internet? I've got a betta care book that explains how to raise the shrimp.

Is there maybe another live food that would be fairly easy to come across out here in the "boondocks"?

I hear mosquito larva are okay to feed to bettas, is this true? If so, that'd be great, my grandmothers bird feeders get full of them in the summer.

I have wondered, could I use any live worms from the hunting section in wal-mart? Does anyone do this? I haven't gone to that section to see what they have yet.

Oh, and something not about worms... I live near a lake, and I've been seeing alot of driftwood from the dam. I want to go down there and find a small piece to replace one of the plants in Valentino's tank. Would I need to do anything to sanitize the driftwood?

Valentino and I appreciate your help! :)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #2 
gregoryk

To sanitize: throw it in a boiling pot of water, fully submerged and to be on the safe side keep it there for a good 10 minutes.
Do the same with anything you want to place inside your tank, like stones or driftwood.
But be careful because there may be other things like metals, minerals or resins that are not affected by the sanitation process and will persist on the surface or inside the stones, wood, etc and may be released after prolonged exposure to the conditions inside the tank and slowly poison your betta (or other fish for that matter)

Avoid any "free range" insects from the outside since you never know what kinds of diseases or pesticides they bring along.

EDIT: going out on a limb, I have left some fruit to rot and that's attracted fruit flies (yes, now my house is full of the pesky critters) and I do not use any insecticides so after about a week of knowing the first generation has died I started offering fruit flies to my betta and he is going crazy for them!
He's been on a 50% fruit flies, 50% dried blood worm diet for almost two weeks now and he seems happy.
Dunno about long term side effects but I keep my fingers crossed.

Another thing I have tried and he really really likes is to boil a frozen shrimp (I have black tiger but any size will work) and then cut a very very thin slice (watch your fingers) and leave it hanging a quarter of an inch over the surface of the water... maybe dip it once or twice to draw his attention and then watch as he enjoys his meal.

Last edited by gregoryk; 02-14-2011 at 09:36 PM.
gregoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #3 
gregoryk

I should add:
As a rule:
Be ware of anything you want to bring into your tank, wood, stones or anything for the matter.
Do not cut corners to save money on driftwood or tank decorations or something undesirable may happen and we don't want that.

Now if you want to go ahead and take the risk...
gregoryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I feed live blackworms on occasion but they need rinsing in cool water once a day.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

NEVER boil rocks or stones! They can explode and injure you. A good rinse in hot water is enough.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 
LittleNibbles93

I went looking for driftwood today. Come to find out they're like iceburgs, above the surface it looks small, but under the surface, holy moley are they huge. So no driftwood for me.

I don't want to take any chances of harming my fish.

I'm going to look for frozen betta food online and see what I can find.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote