Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

I went a bit overboard with feeding..

I was feeding frozen brine shrimp and didnt realize how much i gave him, and now hes very fat. do i just fast him for the next couple of days, and it'll go down? hes acting the same, but just.. large.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Yes, just fast him for a few days and he should be fine. You could also feed him a small amount of daphnia if you have it, it works as a natural laxative for fish.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

Alright. i feel bad. i have to watch myself when feeding, they always look so hungry xD
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
Lordsameth

It's so tricky with Betta, they are more skilled with begging than a dog. Both of mine scored blood worms today for absolutely no reason other than being cute. Those suck-ups.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #5 
coolcucumber

Hehe. I usually feed them pellets, flakes, or freeze-dried bloodworms, but i was feeding the shrimp to my other tank and they were just sitting there staring.. i had to give em some
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #6 
tfranc

so if they eat like pigs they can look like they are bloated? My betta is acting normal, and hungry as always, still poops but he got fat after my sister decided to feed him without telling me and I fed him so more, so he had about 10-15 tiny pellets for 2 days (he didnt leave a single one)... so should I fast him?
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

If he's looking fat and you know he ate that much, it would be a good idea to fast him for a couple days.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

Best reference I've gotten is feed them their own eye each day, if they're bloated but poopin feed them half their eye each day.

If they beg for food then play with them or get a mirror so they can rawr themselves for about ten minutes. Food is unconditional love and thus not physically healthy, teach them to dance for their extra food

I use hikkari fancy guppy pellets and a cheap walmart salt shaker (little canning jar kind). I folded the seal inside and cut out a half moon a little off center so it lets food out three holes. The pellets contain no air, can sink and are 50% protein, very happy boys. With this I can be sure the boys only get a tiny amount of happy food and then feed them standard pellets for their regular diet. .. and ensure I handle the food as rarely as possible!
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #9 
tfranc

great thanks so much, I hope he gets back to normal soon, and im gonna be carefull how much they eat :)
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote