Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #1 
windfire

at last the one and only Apsolem!

so i finally got my act together and remembered my camera and the cord to connect it to my laptop so without further ado here is my Apsolem. can anyone tell me if he's definately a delta tail? that was what he was sold as and i hope his tail grows in abit more. he is still very shy and i'm hoping he'll come out of his shell a wee bit more. btw he's not bloated he just had about 5 mosquito larvae cos i just got back to the commune and he's been fasting for 2 days while i was away. i was a lil nervous leaving him but it seems nothing bad happened and everyone came through it in one piece. the second pic is his tank and the third is the waterfall i constructed
Attached Images

windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

He's great! Love his colours!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 
demonr6

Looks like it is. Nice work on that waterfall. +1 on creativity.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #4 
windfire

thanks Canuk and Demon, he actually came out to eat flakes toay which i was so chuffed with. i think he's going to be a real show off lol. we went on a field trip today to the botanical garden and i found some really cool moss that i've never seen before in one of their germination beds so i figured i'd help them out and take some of it off their hands hehe (promise it wasnt suppose to be there they were germinating cycad seed there), so that went in today. the fern thing in the waterfall isnt doing so hot so i'm thinking of adding peace in the home maybe or at a push Lyssimachia nummerlaria (creeping jenny) i just think the creeping jenny will be to large in the small planting space though.

someone on another forum has put the idea of brazilian pennywort in my head and i saw some at the botanical gardens but i worry that it'll take over my small tank, he also thought a mini water lily would look cool, which i agree but i dont want the leaves to shade the other plants particularly the hm and hairgrass. anyway things could change soon with this tank still but so far i'm fairly happy with the layout and plantings and Apsolem seems to like it, i think he'll like it better once everything has grown in.

oh and i may boycott the shrimp in here, he has a super active hunting instinct and i dont have that many shrimp that i can afford to throw them away as expensive betta treats

i'll update this thread periodically as things progress and more growth happens
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

He's looking a bit like a veil tail to me, but you might have to wait for his fins to grow out a bit more. Nice setup. :)

I have a dwarf water lily right now. It's short and stubby at the moment, but I love the color of its leaves. :)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

He's a delta. The tail is too round to be a Veil tail.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Well, look at this photo of my veiltail when he had a shorter tail -

Also, many times when I look at younger veiltails, their tails are oval and inclined downward like that one.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #8 
windfire

i would age him at about 3months, does anyone agree disagree? he was a twit last night i dont know what he did but i woke up to split fins so i'm going to be stepping up the water changes until he heals. i supose it means he's getting comfortable in his new home if he's flaring but still TWIT!! ah well he doesnt seem the worse for wear besides the tears in his tail.

he ate like a piglet this morning
Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #9 
FuulieQ

I don't know anything about aging betta, but that sounds nice. Three is a nice number. :P

Isn't there a way you can count the rays to tell what tail type they are or something? He'd be a gorgeous delta.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #10 
windfire

he has 12 rays that split in 2 about halfway down the tail. i checked on the photo and zoomed in really close i got a nice one of him from above today
Attached Images