Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #1 
jschristian44

How to siphon water at same levels?

Water changes are harder than I want them to be. I have to keep my bucket on the floor and my tank on my dresser and then use my water siphon so the water goes down into the bucket. This isn't the hard part. The part I want is so I can take the new water in the bucket back into the bowl on the dresser. I tried putting the bucket on the dresser as the same level, but the water wouldn't flow the other direction. I tried holding it on top of the bowl as well. It works but it's very hard work keeping the bucket on top without letting it fall. Is there any way to use a water siphon to siphon and re-siphon it back into the bowl at the same level? The only reason I like this is because it will be so much easier than dumping water back in with a cup many times. It also doesn't stress the fish out as much because it's a nice stream instead of bulges of water being thrown in.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I dont think they can work like that, like at all. I just dump it in, slowly and onto a plant so it diffuses and isnt strong. If you just bombard it and dump in, then yes- its stressful, but if youre slow and gentle it shouldnt be an issue.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #3 
kfish

Any way to stack some books (like old encyclopedias) on the dresser and stick the bucket on top of those?

I think an electric siphon could siphon at the same level, but gravity can't do its work on a regular siphon at the same level.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #4 
jschristian44

ah thanks the help. the books idea might actually work if i can find room. but i did do it and it works great thats why i need to have the bucket higher than the tank somehow.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #5 
kfish

I can definitely see the convenience in setting up the siphon backwards... wouldn't have to stand there pouring carefully, lol. I'd like to be able to clean up the mess I've made changing the water while water goes back into the tank!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I placed hooks in my ceiling and added a chain and hook so I can hang my buckets of water when I need to do slow siphon in a tank-give me good height for the gravity flow...but not everyone can do this.....

When I need to use a bucket to pour water in a tank-I use my free clean hand under the water flow as I am pouring the water in so it doesn't disrupt anything or mess up the substrate........and sometimes I have to use a smaller bucket of water because its easier pouring from with one hand...but my favorite container I like to use is a 1gal jug-I rinse out my 1gal milk or OJ jugs and label them "Fish only"...

I also use them to keep my pre-mix treatment water in and I label them accordingly but they are pretty easy to tell the difference since I keep oak leaves in them to steep...laffs....so the brown water tells me pretty much what is in it....lol.....

And I really like the 1gal ice cream buckets too...especially with the handle and lid....re-cycle.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

two buckets

or more appropriately, one bucket for disposal and one watering can with shower head for refilling.

Shower head sprinkles in, keeps the flow from being hard and makes little cooler drops splash into water, your friend might frolic a bit?

I try to avoid using the out-bucket for in-bucket as much as I can.

Simply use the out-bucket once to mark a line on the watering can where the water you'll need will be or mix more water than you need.

A watering can is probably the cheapest, spill-freest and gentlest way to do it.

But... I use a bucket dumped vigorously in the back of the filter. That's me, Mr notimerushrush

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-17-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: completely changed original post for "Water your flower" motif
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
demonr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I
When I need to use a bucket to pour water in a tank-I use my free clean hand under the water flow as I am pouring the water in so it doesn't disrupt anything or mess up the substrate........and sometimes I have to use a smaller bucket of water because its easier pouring from with one hand...but my favorite container I like to use is a 1gal jug-I rinse out my 1gal milk or OJ jugs and label them "Fish only"...

I also use them to keep my pre-mix treatment water in and I label them accordingly but they are pretty easy to tell the difference since I keep oak leaves in them to steep...laffs....so the brown water tells me pretty much what is in it....lol.....
That is my same method. I have six empty gallon jugs of spring water I bought for an initial set up on a tank I have and kept the jugs. I condition the water and add my AQ salt as needed. I do the same at work. I actually pour mine over the glass thermometer and it breaks up the flow without disturbing the water much at all. In the 5 gallon I take a different approach. I have this large dragon whose head conveniently serves as a good place to pour the water right on..
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 
bettafish15

I would just dump the water in. Carefully, and very slowly. It seems to be the best way :D I dump the water in on my tank, however its 14g and my betta has lots of room to get away from the incoming water. I use a really big plastic container to pour it in, maybe try using something bigger than a cup to make putting new water in the tank faster? Like a large food container or something...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #10 
Pekemom

Well, I've only got a little five gal, but when replacing water, I keep a deep dessert dish in one hand over the tank. I pour the water from the gallon jug into the dish to break the force of the flow and avoid disturbing the gravel or plants. Works great - but it's only a small tank...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote