Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 
kappy

Betta sick off and on 4 weeks now

I have a male betta that was very healthy, then he started sitting at the bottom, then was floating at the top, stopped eating and whenever he tried to swim to the bottom he just floated back up. I noticed half of his dorsal fin (?) was gone and thought is was possibly fin rot. Since he was having difficulty swimming I moved him to a small tank will a low water level. Since he wasn't eating I ruled out swim bladder, treated him with kanaplex according to the directions. Which was 1x every two days for three treatments. Mr betta got better, so I moved him back to the 3 gallon tank and within 4 days he started getting sick again. I do not want to treat him again until I get some advice.

Before putting Mr Betta back in 3 gallon tank I completely cleaned it, left the gravel out, put 1 sick plant in and changed the small world filter. Yesterday I switched the filters back to the tetra.

3 gallon tank

Filtered - started out using tetra whisper (2 months) and switched to small world (1 month). After a month is when I started having problems. I do have 3 other tanks setup the same way with male bettas and just started noticing problems with fin rot on all three.

Heated to 80
I do a 50% water change every other day.
PH is 7
ammonia levels stay right around 0
I vacuum the tank weekly.

I have well water and the PH level is over 8, so I use 4 gallons softened reverse osmosis water and 1 gallon well water. This gets the ph level down.

I use tetra water conditioner, aquasol (for preventative) and atison's clear almond.
Attached Images

kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....boy..he looks pretty rough.....

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

In the shape he is in...you may need to do this for a bit longer if you start to see improvement....sometime up to a month and then fresh water for a week or so and then repeat the Epsom salt for another 10 days-I have not seen any long term problems with Epsom salt like you do with aquarium salt....

Good luck and keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #3 
kappy

I also have some Atison's Betta Spa or would decaf green tea be better? If I use the tea do I heat dechlorinated water and steep or just place tea bag in epsom water mixture?

Thanks
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #4 
amandiepants

ive heard REALLY great betta reviews on Hikari's Betta Revive. http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...:referralID=NA

its ridiculously inexpensive give it a shot.
amandiepants is offline   Reply With Quote