Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Arrow Cycling/cycled tank question...

I have a 14gal that I've been cycling for about 29-30 days now. I haven't taken test on it in about a week. I took tests on the were on the 10th of February and they read:
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrites: about 2.0ppm
Nitrates: 5.0ppm.

I took them today and got
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrites: 0.0ppm
Nitrates: 80ppm

Now my question is: Is this tank cycled? I've hit spikes in the ammonia and nitrites a while back and now with that 0.25ppm ammonia I'm not sure what to do. Should I wait and see if it goes away or would it be okay to do a 90% water change and add my boys this weekend?

I say 90% because I need to put the temporary divider in along with their decorations.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 
c4talys7

Anyone?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Your tank is not cycled. It is only cycled when you see no ammonia and no nitrites. You need to do a water change because your nitrates should not be over 20ppm or else they become dangerous for the fish. I'd suggest doing a 50% water change and retesting to see where your at.

If your only 1 month in on a newly cycled tank (i'm assuming you don't have any filter media or gravel from an established tank) I think your definitely not there yet. It usually takes about 2 months.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
c4talys7

Oh there's no fish in the tank, I'm cycling with shrimp. So does this mean that the nitrites will spike again?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

If the nitrites spiked you should not be seeing any ammonia. If your still seeing ammonia your nitrites have not fully spiked yet. I know there's no fish but you still need to do a water change because that is the only way to lower your nitrates.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 
c4talys7

ok now you've gotten me confused. The ammonia spiked and then went down and the nitrites spiked and when down to zero. The only thing that I see that will happen again is that the nitrites will go up and spike again. The highest the nitrates got was the highest on the chart that the chart comes with.