Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Poisoning

So 3 of my guys were inadvertently poisoned today. At least I assume that's what happened. After I got off work I noticed the boys in my divided 10 gallon all lethargic and losing color. The chems all tested out perfect... after going over everything that could be wrong with them I finally found what could be the cause. I did a water change this morning before work and used one of the buckets in our back room, but it turns out that it was recently used in cleaning our hot tub out! I'm sure there was some chemical residue that got in to the tank.

So I have set up the quarantine tanks with fresh water, increased water temp, and added some IAL. Should I add any salt of some sort? I'm not quite sure how to heal poisoning....
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
Luimeril

D: oh, gosh! Hyde, was poisoned, by my stupidity. i didn't know the bin he lived in for a bit wasn't fish-safe. ;A;

i guess.... change their water more than usual? i don't quite know how to help poisoned fish. xX
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 
monroe0704

YEY! I must have caught it in time. After a day and some TLC their color returned. After two days, they are now swimming around and the fins have begun to un-clamp. :D I foresee a complete recovery!!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

WHEW, that was close! I'm glad they're okay!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Adding fresh active carbon/charcoal is also a good way to get poisons out...especially in big tanks with lots of fish...good that you caught it in time and got them in fresh water...it wouldn't hurt to run some fresh activated charcoal in the main tank for a few days anyway...to be safe.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Adding fresh active carbon/charcoal is also a good way to get poisons out...especially in big tanks with lots of fish...good that you caught it in time and got them in fresh water...it wouldn't hurt to run some fresh activated charcoal in the main tank for a few days anyway...to be safe.....
Thanks!! I had drained all the water and washed the decor as best I could... but I'm still so nervous to add them back in it. I'll use that to ease my mind :D and hopefully ease any residual poisons...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad they're better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote