Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Are All Silk Aquarium Plants Actually Safe?

Several days ago I went to Petco, and made an impulse buy of a sick betta. Since this was an impulse buy after all, I also bought a 2.5 gallon tank kit, gravel, and decor. I am quarantining him in a 1 gallon tank to treat him for finrot; he won't be ready to move into his new tank until the middle of next week, but I decided to set it up anyway.

One of the plants I got is a sort of magenta color; I thought it looked very pretty. But after a few days I looked at the filter and saw that the sponge I use in the filter cartage had turned sort of pinkish.

I did buy this plant at Petco, so I would assume it's supposed to be fish safe. But should I use it if its color is leeching into the water?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #2 
Aluyasha

Did it say it was made for aquarium use? It could be a reptile plant, made for snakes and such.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i'd soak it in water for a few days. it could just be excess dye. o.o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

It was in the "betta shop" section, so it better be made for aquariums!

Ok, I was just afraid the dye coming off might hurt him. I'll take it out and soak it for a while to get the excess off, thank you!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote