Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 
gpenrose

Urgent my betta is dying

I've only had the poor little guy for five days, he is in a 2 gallon tank, with a filter and plants, i am going to get a heater but was told it was not necessary when i bought the setup. the temperature has been pretty steady at 25C. He is now very sick. symptoms:
-fins are clamped
-hasn't eaten since I got him
-lying at the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly
-loss of color
and i just noticed this morning his tail loots different, he is a delta tail, but his tail is starting to look like a crown tail, this indicates fin rot right?
all this has happened very rapidly. i am worried he might not have much time left.
i have been doing water changes every other day, pH is a little alkaline, (7.3) and i don't have a test kit for ammonia or nitrates, but again i was told regular water changes mean it's not a problem.
I didn't cycle the tank. I regret that very much. I was told bettas are fine if you just condition the water.
PLEASE help!
I've tried bettafix, but it isn't working so far. should i do another more drastic water change? (I've been doing 50%)
gpenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind and how much dechlorinator are you using, what is your source water...tap, bottled, filtered....etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 
gpenrose

I've been using a drop per gallon of wardley tri-start. i have been using tap water. also i've been putting in aquarium salt, according to the directions which is like 1/4tsp per gallon
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would make another water change and use extra dechlorinater, turn off the filter and lower the water level so he doesn't have to struggle to get to air, turn off the light too....can you see anything on his body like ich or velvet..use 1tsp/gal aquarium salt along with 100% daily water changes....you may want to remove the live plant for now or place the fish in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank....

I don't know anything about that dechlorinater...make sure it has not expired, shake well before use, make sure it covers-chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals....when a fish degrade this fast it make me think something is really wrong with the source water or he was really sick when you bought him....

Can you post a pic

By the way...welcome to the forum....
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #5 
gpenrose

Thanks for you're help. I did a water change, and lowered the water level and bumped up the temperature a bit. His fin rot seemed to be getting worse, so i ran out and got some aqua-septic. He was really struggling when I got home. I gave him the specified dose, but sadly he passed 10 minutes after. Towards the end his gills became very swollen and white, even though he was still going up for air. I really want to sort out my tank, and eventually get a new betta. I'm definitely going to cycle it for next time, but it's very upsetting not knowing what i did that let the poor thing down. It's possible he was sick when I got him, he was in a filtered enclosed area and seemed to be the healthiest fish, although there were fish in adjoining sections that looked pretty sickly.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....

I would recommend that you get a really good dechlorinater like Prime by SeaChem.......I don't think the uncycled tank had anything to do with his death since you had been doing every other day water changes....I think it was the source water....

I would take some of your source water to the pet shop and have it tested...take three samples.....1-just your source water and 2-source water with some dechlorinator that you currently have and 3-tank water

You want to test for:

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine, pH

Write all these number down and post them and see if we can help you figure out what happened so you can be successful with your next Betta....