Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 
briser

New 3gal set up.

So I set up my new 3gal.. I love the option to change the light to a bunch of different colors, very creative. The only con I have against this tank is that the air pump needs to be above the water level, but I found a little shelf tucked away in my basement and just put it on the wall with the air pump on top and kinda covered it with a little decoration.

Mind you, not all the plants and deco are set up in the tank yet because they are still in the other tank with my female, but I will put them in when I add her.

(looks pretty small in the pic but it's actually really big. and that's two horse decorations, not one like it looks haha.)

the little shelf.

My question to you guys, can you leave air pumps plugged in all day?
Also, I just wanted to make sure tall tanks are okay for bettas.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
Abby

id say yes to the air pump and bettas, a tall tank isnt THE BEST especially if they are a little under the weater due to them being air breathers its further for them to swim so id keep a qt tank thats shallower in case your fish needs qt if they get sick but this is all just my opinion
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Taller tanks are fine, yeah. Horizontal space is better than vertical, but so long as they have a place to draw air from on the surface, theyre alright. I have a taller than wide tank and it's fine. Maybe invest in a tall plant, one that almost reaches the water line, so that your betta can relax and sleep in it without needing to swim too high for air. Betta "hammocks/leaves" are great, too!
Ive actually seen many members remove that air column, you dont really need it, provided it only serves for airration, which bettas dont need since they breathe air ^w^I dont see why you cant leave it on all day, but also dont really see the need to do so.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #4 
briser

I have 2 small QT tanks, and I am going to make one of those leaf beds, because from what I've heard lots of bettas use them.

Also, I am investing in some tall plants, but for right now I only have three short ones and a couple pieces of deco.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 
briser

Question: I've had my tank running for about two hours with the heater.. It started out at 60* and is now at around 73* when it reaches the right temp (78* ish) is it okay to put my fish in (letting it float and adjust in a cup or whatever). Or should I wait until tomorrow?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

If its dechlorinated, and once it gets up to past 75', float the cup a bit under 3/4 full, bob for a while (5-10mins), then add a little bit of the new tanks water, then wait again, then add more, then wait, then add more, then after at least a half hour or so, you can put him in.
:3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote