Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #1 
VTAb182

Leave stems wrapped in foam w/ metal band?

I picked up a cypt. balansae from my LFS and it same with the stems wrapped in a 2cm-ish wide strip of foam and a metal band around it. I took this off and saw it is 4 separate plant stems wrapped in different layers. Right now I have all 4 planted together without the foam and I wrapped the metal around the bare stems because I couldn't keep them down otherwise. But now I'm wondering if I should keep the foam on too and just plant the whole base? The metal is very pliable and soft (lead?). At the store they were in a tank wrapped in the foam but not planted, just sitting on the gravel.
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would separate all the plants and plant them at least 2-3 inches apart or even two on one side of the tank and two on the other....the foam and lead weight are just to hold them down in the pet shop...or temporary....

You can use small rock on their roots to hold them in place until they root...you don't want to bury them too deep and cover their crown...crypts are a great low light plant by the way...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #3 
VTAb182

Okay thanks! But where exactly is the crown ?
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The crown it the thick part of the plant between the root and where the leaf stem meet.....this part (crown) of rosette plants need to be slightly above the substrate or the plant can rot....its better to plant too shallow than too deep......just like bedding plants outside in our garden......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote