Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Eggs or not?

So, I believe my betta spawned but I am not sure. I took pictures of the bubbles and my male spends a lot of time under it maintaining it, even without the female in. Her fins are almost completely gone and she can't swim right. And my male was not aggressive at all when I put them together. That's why I think they spawned. So, it's been about a day now, but I can't tell if there are eggs or not underneath the almond leaf. How long should I wait until I see tails from underneath it? I think they spawned Saturday Morning.

Pics:

and one taken today:

Old 02-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

It's very hard to tell from the pictures...
Sit and watch him under the nest.
If there's eggs, he'll be picking them off the bubbles with his mouth and spitting them back up again.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #3 
jschristian44

i did see him poke through some bubbles and put them in another place. i just touched the leaf and immediately he came up to me. it is wierd though because i got mystery snails and he doesnt mind them being on the leaf. do they take out the bad babies and eat them or why doesn't he mind them being on it. i put the female back in to see what he would do and when she came near his nest, he kept pecking her and i rushed to take her out. just got her in time before he demolished her. that is why i really think i have eggs. but couldn't i see bodies or eyes by now? its been over a day and i still can't see eggs or anything. i have a good eye as well. but the way he keeps maintaining the nest makes me wonder. in the first picture, you see that white bulky stuff nearest the leaf? that's the only place where i can see eggs maybe since it's a bunch of white and not clear. or is that just a ton of bubbles smushed together! shouldn't i see tails by the end of tomorrow or tuesday?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I thought you said you WEREN'T GOING TO BREED. Everyone advised against it, and you STILL did it?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #5 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I thought you said you WEREN'T GOING TO BREED. Everyone advised against it, and you STILL did it?
But everyone also knew he wouldnt listen which he continuously demonstrates
Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Shaking my head... gaaaaah.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

I saw that but when you have many layers of bubles on a nest, it'll give you that white look.
If you had eggs you would be able to see some just below the surface of the bubles.
You might have taken the female out too soon when the male was still working on his nest. I had a male that would pay his complete attention to his nest and run off the female until he was entirely satisfied with his work which usually involved covering most of the half of the tank with bubbles... then he would go get the female.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #8 
jschristian44

i moved the leaf around once, and it touched the wall. i saw 2 white eggs pop free. i know what the eggs look like because my female once spent a ton on her own. i can't put her back in because she is destroyed and can't swim right. would the male be under his nest the ENTIRE time? he goes and checks on it every now and then. when i took the female out, the male was under his nest the entire time. she was hiding in my ornament. he would leave and go flare at her every like 5 minutes. is there anyway to tell if i got eggs. i really think i do. i just looked and i see an inch of hair string coming from middle of leaf. is this just from my java moss? any other HELP here and not criticism.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #9 
jschristian44

well my female just died today. i saw her standing frozen doing a headstand with her eyes closed. this male was so not aggressive at all compared to my old betta which was very aggressive. i really hope they spawn now. how long will i have to wait.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 
cjayBetta

O.O
Closed Thread