Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #1 
sjones

My new 10 gallon divided with plants and betta

I've been working on this monstrosity for a while. I hope the plants will thrive. I have switched the bulbs to a compact florescent on one side and a full spectrum aq florescent from walmart i read good reviews on.
Right now I have baffled the filter and covered the intake with nylons to prevent fin loss. The tank is not cycled, i tried with shrimp and was not happy with the results so i tore it down and started over. I believe I did introduce saprolegnia into the tank due to using the shrimp method.
Any how there are two guys in there and I have duckweed, wisteria, hornwort, java fern, argentine sword, naja grass, and am floating some pothos leaves as temporary cover until the plants grow. Also m sprating some betta bulbs in there as well..
It's barebottom tank I do a 50% waterchange one a week and also clean out the waste daily, so far it doesn't even register for ammonia after a week. I also use prime and blackwater extract for water conditioning with each water change. Temp is 78 I have some local granite and terracotta pots in there as well as some small stones to keep the argentine sword rooted.

Any suggestions on how to maintain/grow the plants are appreciated.

There is also a betta log on the bright side of the tank-Phantom (who is now marbeling from cello to red) LOVES it, and spends all his time in there.
Attached Images

sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #2 
JKfish

:D wow, that looks amazing! Great job SJones~ I love all those live plants.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
sjones

I like it too, I like that it smells like pondwater and I am hoping for lush greenery here! Tanks JK :D We're doing pretty good!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #4 
sjones

more flix

Attached Images

Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Looking good. How do you like your betta log? Am tempted to buy one
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #6 
sjones

i wouldn't if you ever want to see your betta again, he absolutely LOVES it, spends all his time in there
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #7 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
i wouldn't if you ever want to see your betta again, he absolutely LOVES it, spends all his time in there
I was always hearing about the betta log. Didn't think it was so awesome or ingenious as everyone said it was…. but then I bought one.

I now have bettas with a serious case of betta-log addiction, and there is no cure :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote