Betta Fish Forum banner

What is compatible with 20g Sorority?

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  turtle10 
#1 ·
I have a 20 gallon long cycled aquarium. It has four girls right now, but it will be going up to possibly 7. What would be an appropriate species? I like plecos, and would love to try cories, but I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Maybe some guppies? The fancy ones would be fine with female Bettas. They're REALLY pretty! Make sure you get a group of at least 5 guppies. I would suggest getting all one sex, unless you want fresh food (fry) for your girls!

#3 ·
I love guppies :)
I will definitely consider those. I have four female guppies but they are with my male betta so I had to get sort of plain looking ones. Fancy ones would be awesome. The LiveAquaria ones are gorgeous, and I am about to check Aquabid :).

So does this mean that shoaling species are okay in a sorority?

#6 ·
As for plecos don't get commons. They get huge! Find a bristlenose (Ancistrus Sp.) or clown pleco, or any other pleco under 5 inches. There are some cool bristlenose varietys! Albino, normal, calico, starlight, super red.....

#7 · (Edited)
Pristella/Gold Pristella, small tetra, male mollies, bloodfins/green fire, specialty bottom feeders, guppies of both sex is fine... can only reference the types I have experience with but none have ever given me a problem.

My guppy combo is one flamboyant male and a selection of females. Most fem gup don't get huge but you will get some superguppies. My betta girls will enforce the no fighting rule brutally on non betta, often they've badly harmed a second male guppy so I don't do more than one anymore.

Male mollies on their own are happy energetic schoolers, females on their own are a little lethargic and shy. My pair move around almost as much as the pair of bloodfin.

Remember to look up shoal and school sizes as well as maximum live length of the fish you consider... You can go with what looks good instead of using what fits inside the gallon rating of your tank if you set up a sump style system with overflow skimmer, etc, you can increase your water and plant space without having to have a larger footprint of tank, this lets you have a higher number of fish "in view". Most overflow skimmers are a wee bit HYOOGE for betta and company, tho. You can rig Tom's surface skimmers into a siphon overflow arrangement with some piping work and you can also use five gallon jugs as "sealed" sumps with some work on them. Depends on what you want. Modest sumps are handy for keeping tank level up and expand the water volume by ten gallons easily.

#8 ·
Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to set up something like that, but I am willing to stay within the requirements for the fish lol :)

Hmm why do female mollies get lethargic when in same sex groups? Could I keep both sexes together? I don't remember who it was but they said their bettas ate some of the fry and died because of all the toxins in the fry.

If I keep guppies and they breed is it okay for the bettas to eat the guppy fry?

Lol another question.. I am super interested in the corydoras pygmaeus. Is there a high chance of them breeding? I wouldn't mind but I just don't have the space if the tank gets overcrowded, my other 20g already has a pleco (small tiger pleco about 4-5 inches).

#9 ·
I'm getting pygmies too!

But, if you haven't seen them, then you most likely wont. They are pretty rare, luckily a place over here sells them. But if you can't find them local, you might find them online. Not sure on the breeding rate, but I heard guppies eat cory eggs.

The bad thing about your females eating guppy fry is being bloated from having too many Lol. I think you should get all males, they're prettier IMO and no overcrowded tank! Good luck with what ever you choose!

#11 ·
A normal corydoras is reasonable at 1-3 dollars. A pygmy, or other semi-Rare cory is reasonable from 3-15 dollars, though 15 is really high. A rare corydoras can be 20+, I've even seen some newly developed color morphs go for 40!

#17 ·
Remember, it only takes a few moments to kill them. The best thing is to make sure they get stressed when being caught, so they release all of the poison.

#20 ·
I heard guppys were not safe becuse their tails are like bettas (mistaken identity) I have a lot of ghost shrimp and 2 ADF in my 20 gallon sorority/communty tank I did have danios but had to move them because they are pigs lol

#24 ·
Did I forget to say "money" is compatible with a 20g sorority?

Get a back-up filter and get the bio in it running too. Most are incredibly reliable but $10.00 at walmart to save $40.00 of fish and to avoid thirty gallons of water changing per day...

Watch the intakes, sponge em over or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.