Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Keeping a tank half-full?

So I was getting ready for a water change last night-- but just emptying the water really freaked Calder and made him stressed, so I just... gave him some time. I'm wondering though, what do you think of keeping a tank this way? I kind of really like the way it looks shallower-- it's a 10 gallon. So they should be in about 5 gallons of water together? 2.5 each?

Do they make shallow tanks? I just think the environmental is really interesting and appealing this way. xD
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #2 
LolaQuigs

I don't see why there should be any problem. Bettas naturally live in a shallow water environment, so they should be perfectly happy. Shallow water makes it easier for them to get to the surface to breathe. Also, for divided tanks, lower water levels can help prevent them from jumping the divider.

For certain size tanks you can get a "long" vs "tall" but I don't know of any that come really shallow.

Anyway, I think it seems like a great setup.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #3 
turtle10

I agree about the shallowness. I have a 20 gallon that is short and wide and it is SO cool looking. It is a sorority so it looks like an underwater jungle with all the plants lol! I think it would be so cool for them to have the standard 10 gallon aquarium and then a 10 gallon that is short and long, like four 2.5 aquariums lined up.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 
elijahfeathers

Thanks you guys. I guess I'll have to change the water a little more often, but hopefully that one't be too muck of a hassle. I like the sort of crowded look that having it half full provides-- oh well. Maybe someday petsmart will stop charging an arm and a leg for their silk plants and I can get a bunch of the tall ones. Till then though this is neat I think.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
Thanks you guys. I guess I'll have to change the water a little more often, but hopefully that one't be too muck of a hassle. I like the sort of crowded look that having it half full provides-- oh well. Maybe someday petsmart will stop charging an arm and a leg for their silk plants and I can get a bunch of the tall ones. Till then though this is neat I think.
I totally agree. I was in there today and I wanted to get some new plants for my sorority. I love my girls but I don't want to pay 12 bucks for an 8 inch piece of plastic.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Yep. I definitely don't see a problem with it. Like you already said you'll just have to treat it as a 5 gallon.

Actually, I've always kind of wanted to make a riparium. It's usuall filled 1/2-3/4th of the tank with water and above the water level are plants. They're really cool looking.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #7 
turtle10

Want! O.O

Last edited by turtle10; 02-21-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I love the look of a shallow tank, they are great for growing emersed plants and creating a full biotope from bank to water. I have one that is only 18cm high and 2ft long. It has no plants, just big chunks of Malaysian driftwood jutting out and moss growing emersed on parts.

I wish there were more shallow (and rimless ) tanks out there. The only problem with mine is sometimes my plakat male jumps out when he sees me coming with food. But I just drop the water level to about 10cm or so.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #9 
BettaMama11

@SaylorKennedy...that tank looks so cool!! I'd so love one like that!!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote