Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #11 
maycausedeath

I think that petco has some white plastic plants. I'm not sure where to look if you want silk though.

Malvolit: I thought marimos grew in circular shape, and that was part of their charm? I don't want mine flattening out on me D:
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #12 
misamiania

You pull them apart if you want them flat. Otherwise they're suppose to stay round. I just wanted to make sure they'd survive if you pulled them apart.

An thanks! Sadly there's not a petco around here :( and they don't have any online so I'm scavenging the internet as we speek but if anyone knows of an idea it'd be great.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #13 
maycausedeath

Oh that's a relief lol.

Do you have a petsmart?
There's this (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...mdn=Fish+Decor) plant on their website.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #14 
Malvolti

Since they are already round they will stay round, they may get a little oblong if you don't rotate them enough.

In the wild real Marimo can grow in 3 forms; Ball, Flat or free floating pieces. They grow extremely slowly and rarely multiply. It supposedly takes something like 50 years for a ball to go from a single sprout to a 1 foot diameter ball. That's why real marimo are a protected species in every country they are naturally found.

If what you buy in the store is real it will be very expensive and probably bred from one that was imported ages ago.

As for white plants try wal-mart, that's the only place I've seen them. I realize you want them for your theme but be warned; they show algae, dirt and diatoms like nothing and if you treat with a chemical that changes the color of your water they will be permanently dyed. TL;DR They are very difficult to keep white.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #15 
misamiania

hmmm that is a good point... darn haha. I think I'll fine one white one and see how that one goes.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #16 
misamiania

So.... any other ideas to really make my red guy pop in his tank?

Just as a back up idea if the whole white thing doesn't work haha
Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #17 
Malvolti

I would say use blues and greens. They tend to really bring out reds. Imagine royal blue gravel, beatiful vibrant green plants and a red boy swimming through it.

Some driftwood or natural rocks to make a cave would complete the picture quite nicely.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #18 
misamiania

ooo that might work too.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #19 
maycausedeath

You could do black, since black plastic plants are easier to find, and so is gravel. You could also put up a black background.