Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #1 
Opiomorphus

Fertilizing Plants in a 2.5 Gallon Tank

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with a small (2.5 gal) planted tank? I want to fertilize the plants to keep them going strong, and I know that with only one betta in a 2.5 gallon tank there's no way those plants are getting adequate nutrition. Especially since each of my tanks (I have two 2.5 gal) are fairly heavily planted. And by fairly heavily planted, I mean about half of each tank is planted with java moss (about 10-15 sq in I'd guess), and one tank has a clump of moneywort and a clump of water wisteria (from LFS), the other has moneywort and another plant I can't identify.

Specifically, I'd like to know what brands of fertilizer/forms of fertilizer (liquid vs. tab, etc.) and what kind of dosing to do. I've noticed that most of the dosing is centered around 10 gal+, so I definitely want to find out other peoples' experience before trying to guess the dosing for a 2.5 gallon tank.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Opiomorphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 
maycausedeath

I would love to know the same thing!
I can offer that root tabs won't be too helpful unless you have lots of plants rooted in gravel.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #3 
fishman12

Sorry, I want to kknow as well.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 
Arzela

Well, in my tanks, I use a dropper and a syringe to dose liquid ferts and excel. I use Flourish Comprehensive as my main fertilizer. I also have root tablets that I ordered from Root Medic, although I haven't used any yet...planning on adding them to my tanks after I get my new plants in the mail. I have used the Seachem root tablets before with some success.

My 2.5 gallons get .25ml of Excel daily, and .25ml of Flourish Comprehensive once every week. I plan on putting 1 root tablet every couple inches of substrate, and in my 2.5gallons it usually ends up being around 3 used total. According to the directions on the root medic website, the root tablets should last at least 6 months.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote