Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 
BettasForever

Help! Possible fin rot? :(((((((((((((((((

I noticed that Comet's fins seem to be coming apart, it's not getting better nor worse! It could be fin rot, or maybe tailbiting.. any suggestions? :( It's not too clear from the pics, sorry...but you can still see it :(
Attached Images

BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

For a VT his fin are a bit tattered......in one pic it looks like white tips..is this what I am seeing? if so, that is usually new growth....

Tattered fins can be cause by the water current from filters, rough substrate, some decorations, fake plants and poor water quality....

This is a 2gal tank...correct?
How much and how often are the water changes, filtration, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite-food/feeding schedule......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3 
BettasForever

Yes, there is a little white, but in between each sections there's gray...
Nope, nothing in the tank can harm him. Everything was tested.

Yes, it is a 2 gal..

Oops, forgot to include that info. I stopped using the airstone 3 days ago. Here's the info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon Aqua Scene Desktop Aquarium
What temperature is your tank? 79-80 degrees (cant tell with my tiny thermometer :3)
Does your tank have a filter? It has an airstone.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No, but it has a light which keeps it warm.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets, two in the morning and two at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks like torn fins...?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope, he still swims/eats/poops/flares at me when I come by.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1/17/11-Current. (thats when I bought him o.O)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes the delicate fins of long fins Bettas can be damaged by things we would never think could do it....gravel can be really hard on heavy fins being dragged across it, the tiny bit of water movement and thin fins can start them looking tattered...even the softest fake plants that pass the pantyhose test and space...as oddly as that may sound-by using the fins to swim they can damage or weaken them and you also have water quality issues......most breeders keep their males in nothing but water and a real plant sprig in a small container so they don't use their fins very much...kinda like a rubber room...laffs......so their delicate fins will stay perfect.......
But we don't want to keep them this way....no fun in a small container of water with nothing but the fish....sometimes it is a trade off...this isn't with all Bettas mind you.....I have males with perfect fins in large tanks with strong water flow that swim all day long....sometimes I think it has a lot to do with genetics/breeding....some fins are thin and weak from the get-go........

In small filtered tanks less than 5gals-I would make 1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning
And in
Unfiltered tanks I would make....1-50% and 1-100% weekly...to maintain water quality and fin health......

Nutrition also plays a role in fin health-a good varied diet fed in small frequent meals.....

At this point since he is overall a healthy and happy Betta...I would increase your water changes and add 50% water only mid week along with your 100% you are already doing, keep the airstone out, add an extra food to vary the diet more and enjoy.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote