Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #11 
gmd1800

I just moved Octavius to his new aquarium and he looks really happy. It's got silk plants, a thermometer, and a water heater. He's been continuously swimming around for the past thirty minutes. Attacked the thermometer several times too.

How long does it take for fins to grow? While I was transferring him from my friend's tank to a bowl to bring to my room, he fought so much and a small section of his tail fin came off. Do I need to give him anything to make sure it grows back?

Pictures are coming!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Fin growth or re-growth takes time and as long as you provide good conditions and nutrition re-growth can take from days to months...depending on genetic, age, degree of damage, cause of damage to name a few reason....right now you want to prevent a secondary infection with a new/fresh break in the tissue....clean water is the best medication/treatment for new injuries in my experience....add 1-2 extra water only changes to the regular water change schedule for the first week is usually all that needs to be done...if the fins start to look worse or behavior changes within the first couple of days...then a 10day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment may be needed along with 100% daily water changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #13 
gmd1800

Just a heads up that I think I figured out why Octavius wasn't eating.

One possible cause is stress. But another possible cause is that he ate my friend's snails. He had three snails in the tank with the bettas. He bought live plants a few weeks ago, and then ended up with a snail infestation. The three snails are what is left of the infestation. He just texted me and told me that he now has only one snail... Oops.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #14 
gmd1800

Quick question!

Since I live in a college dorm, I have fluorescent lights. It's really bright and stark, and I'm worried that it might alter Octavius' cycle or something. My old bettas at home were kept in a well-lit but dark room. They had a hood light that was turned on at 8 am and turned off at 7:30 pm.

I would like to keep that "schedule" with him, but I don't see that happening with the light in my room. Should I cover his tank at nights since I stay up late studying and doing homework, or is it better to just let him be?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

If you are turning off the light over/on his tank and it is just the lights in the room that are on...I think he should be fine.....if he seems stressed then cover the tank....my lights in the house are on a lot longer than the tank lights and I have never had any problems...but they are not really bright like what you have either.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #16 
Thunderloon

Lamp shade for the bowl works nice, tho it hides the living flower.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #17 
mynameiskcdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
Try Aqueon Betta Food. They are really tiny pellets and like 2-3$. My fish love them and they fit in their mouths
Yes! Try these. I swear by these. Both Philson and Leopold love them! They're great too because they can float for a little bit or be easily sunk! Philson is a normal acting betta and eats his pellets at the top, so he gobbles them up. Leopold, however, will only eat his pellets if he gets to chase them first (he's a strange one, but I love him), so I can easily sink these pellets and he thinks they're great. They are also very small, so a young betta can easily eat them. Plus, from one college betta owner to another, they are super cheap :)

On the heater front, I own two 25W submersible elite heaters. They keep my 1g and 1.5g and a lovely 78F, and that's on a very low setting. It should certainly do the trick for your 3g. You can find them on Amazon for about $15.
mynameiskcdc is offline   Reply With Quote