Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #1 
neocharles

Ich?

Sorry if I am over reacting, but I don't want to leave it unnoticed and it turn out to be something major.

You can kind of see right to the left of the black line (his gill?) that there are a few marks... I am trying to get a more recent picture, but it seems to be on both sides, and maybe some on the bottom, but I am unsure at the moment. They almost look metallicy ... not sure.

Some of the marks in this picture are air bubbles, but I think you can differentiate it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, minimal
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day, 3-4 pellets each

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? (new tank) plan on 2x/wk
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? (new tank) plan on 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White dots seem more prevalent than when purchased
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing bad
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Few days after purchase (owned for ~2 weeks)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 weeks in my possession.

Last edited by neocharles; 02-21-2011 at 09:34 PM.
neocharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 
vaygirl

If they're metallic-y, it's possible that they are just color. He looks like a marble and they sometimes get patches of color like that. Ich usually looks like little grains of salt have been sprinkled on your fish. I'm not seeing that. Just keep an eye on it for now.

I noticed you said you were only going to change out 20% of water a week. I'd increase that to one 50 and one 100 if the tank has no filter. Otherwise, water quality could become an issue which could lead to illness.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
neocharles

Thanks for that tidbit of info -- wasn't quite sure on what I was going to do. I can see that it's certainly cloudier than my filtered tank sitting right next to it.

So 50% once a week and a full 100%?

-- Does this constant 'movement' of the fish from one container to another during water changes cause extra stress on them? I just figure i'd hate to be pulled out of my house a few times a week haha
neocharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4 
vaygirl

They get used to it. It's usually much easier to scoop them into a plastic cup then to use a net. If you still have his original cup, that works well. To lessen stress, cover the cup with a towel to make it dark while you're working on his tank. And make sure the temp of his new water is close to the temp of his old. I'm in and out of my tanks all the time. Even my biggest coward is okay now. Once you've done it a few times you find ways to be more efficient. I use a siphon and a bucket for partial changes. It's a lot less mess.

Edit - for the fifty percent, you could leave him in. Just take the water out with a container or use a siphon tube and bucket like I do. Just watch him around the tube.

Last edited by vaygirl; 02-21-2011 at 11:06 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote