Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #11 
baylee767

Yeah His sister might or might not have this problem in her genetics... I couldn't tell what you were talking about before. I personally wouldn't breed his sister, because if you breed her outside of her line there's still a slight risk, inside there's a major risk, and if you want to produce show quality fry (Like I'll be aiming for when I breed) Then don't breed her. But, if you breed her to a Betta outside of the line and you aren't going for show quality, then go for it.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

If he just has a dippy head he's fine to breed. Dippy heads aren't faults unless it's really severe in which case most likely it is a bent spine issue. Fish with bent spines shouldn't be bred regardless of whether the female is related or not.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

In terms of outcomes in offspring, dippy head, hunch-back and flat shoulder/back shouldn't be that severe as long as you out breed to a good form. But I agree with previous comments that you will have the genes in your line which will appear from time to time.

If you want to play it safe, specially when targeting show quality, it would be best to use good formed breeders .... preferably that doesn't have such faults in their genetic history. You see many big breeders cross HM and PK to DT hoping to get larger dorsal, so the genes exist in many of their lines (dippy head and hunch-back) and can only be fixed through tight selection in future breeding.

I often get the above faults (small percentage) from good formed parents - specially when I use newly bought breeders. This suggests that the gene is recessive yet it exists.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

I think it depends on the extent of the trait. Small dips aren't that bad.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote