Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #1 
Slipstitch

Exclamation Oh my god, someone make it better!

I walked into my local Petsmart today and about cried. Like seriously. ALL of their bettas we living in horrendously filthy water, MANY of them were covered in a thick layer of of fungus, there were many with massive fin rot and god only knows what else. We yelled at the dude who was supposed to be taking care of the fish and he just looked at us like we were retarded. I have NEVER seen any animal in conditions like this! Is there anything I can do? I mean, this is terrible, it was like a freakin horror movie! O.O Someone please tell me what I can do to fix this?
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #2 
bloo97

Write a strongly worded letter.

Lol JK.

But seriously, you could write a letter telling the manager how dicusted you are. Or you could join Peta. I hear they could help, too.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #3 
Luimeril

PETA.... hates fish keepers. no lie. Dx don't join PETA. best bet, is to write an e-mail to the manager, telling him about how disappointed you were, and that if things don't improve, you'll go to the health department. :p nasty fish cups could be considered a health violation.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Speak to the manager. You could also write a letter or email to the district manager (if you can find this contact info). And it couldn't hurt to contact the corporate office either; let them know that customers are outraged by the conditions of some of their stores, and that proper care should be the highest priority for any store that sells live animals.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5 
JKfish

Here's something that might help:

Go here: PetSmart Store Locations for Pet Supplies and Pet Accessories | PetSmart
Enter your Zipcode then using the map find the store you shop at. Click the red icon representing the store. It will bring up three tabs. The default tab has the city name and store number. Ex: Melvinsburg #000
Copy that number and city name.

Next go here:Contact Us
File your complaint there. I wouldn't make it sound too nasty the first time. If it happens again you could kick it up a notch.
Make sure they know you're disgusted and disappointed with the care of bettas. If that doesn't work and you have to file a second complaint it wouldn't hurt to tell them you will contact PETA if they don't up the care.... Most lfs would do anything to keep PETA off their tails.

Last edited by JKfish; 02-22-2011 at 06:29 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #6 
Slipstitch

Thank you all. The condition of these poor guys almost made me cry. There was all of one that I thought I could save... But I didn't have the money for him. :( He was a beautiful chocolate with pink fins... The fin rot hadn't quite set in... I'm tempted to try to save him, but Idk. I can't imagine why people do this kind of thing, it's sick. I will contact corporate immediately.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 
Luimeril

anyone want a video to flag? >.> i'm honestly, really sick of seeing betta fight videos on youtube. youtube needs to do something to prevent these kinds of videos!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #8 
Martinismommy

The only way to make this abuse end is for people to stop buying Betta's at these chain stores......Everytime one is sold another is brought in.....It's like the old days of pet shops carrying purebred puppies....It is rare to see that now.....This is all a supply on demand problem......They do NOT care about Betta fish......All they care about is sales........

People who are serious about this issue choose to purchase from a reputable breeder.....
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 
wildmagic713

The problem is that a lot of people (Like me) don't have the money to pay $20 for a fish and then an added $20-$30 or more for shipping. My local PetCo takes great care of their fish, and we also have a small LFS that takes awesome care of theirs as well.

It's a matter of how you go about it.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
The only way to make this abuse end is for people to stop buying Betta's at these chain stores......Everytime one is sold another is brought in.....It's like the old days of pet shops carrying purebred puppies....It is rare to see that now.....This is all a supply on demand problem......They do NOT care about Betta fish......All they care about is sales........

People who are serious about this issue choose to purchase from a reputable breeder.....
that's why i like my lps. the bettas are always in amazing shape, the cups and smaller "betta" tanks where they keep the fancier fish are cleaned daily. it's also, as far as i know, a 2 store chain, called Pet Lover's Warehouse.