Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question RO water

Before I was under the impression that RO water is bad, but recently I learned that a lot of members use it.

Basically, is it okay to use? I have silicates in my tap... this means diatoms in my tank no matter what, and we have an RO filter thingy. The PH from that thing is 6.8, while my current PH is 8.2. I'll be adding aquasafe.... and, if necessary, any other things to add nutrients (only if I HAVE to, and I mean things like baking soda, etc.) I have plants, and I don't know if this adds nutrients or not, but I'll also have a soil like substrate full of plant nutrients.

I'll be adding neon tetras (MAYBE) and pygmy cories. I want to use RO water so bad... I hate these diatoms

Last edited by baylee767; 02-20-2011 at 03:26 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #2 
baylee767

Or maybe one of these kind of things that supposedly remove silicates?

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-189-Ph...8196411&sr=8-6

Anyone have any reccomendations for a brand that does this?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

RO water is the best because you get the best water for plants and fish. I ONLY use RO water on all my tanks and I get better growth and happier fish n shrimp.

If you want an extremelly cheap RO system check out PureWaterClub.com

Get the portable one for 100GPD and your set. I have the same one And I love it. Makes about 4 gallons in an hour
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 
tsoto80

What is RO water?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #5 
baylee767

Reverse osmosis. IT's been super filtered...

Thanks Hadouken! I already have an RO filter luckily, because we found out Hawaii is second most in the country for something found in the tap that causes cancer.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #6 
baylee767

Just thought I'd update. I've been very slowely adding water, and I believe I've switched out roughly 2.5 gallons and added RO water. So far my beautiful anubias with leaves so beautiful they look fake hasn't been attacked by diatoms, same goes with my new ferns and moss. I'm sorry, I'm just in love with that plant! I want a thousand more!

Neon seems to be coping pretty well. He's acting slightly lethargic, but don't all fish in new wawter conditions? I'm trying to be slow so I don't suffocate him or something with such a low PH and low nutrition compared with before, But I'm getting slightly impatient Lol. I want THEM (glares at diatoms) to die.