Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 
briser

help i think my girl is dying!! :(

earlier this morning i noticed she had her fins kinda clamped, but a little while later they were back to normal so i thought nothing of it... i fed her and she ate and then i went out... when i came back she was laying on her side and she is almost completely white.. when she use to be purple.. and her fins are the only purple left on her and even they have close to no color...
i tapped the tank and she just swam around and around in circles, i quickly set up a qt tank with bottled water that i had on hand at the same temperature just incase something like this happened, i let her adjust over 15 mins and put her in the qt tank.. she is now swimming around the bottom of the tank but when she stops she floats up to the top...
i just recently moved her from a .75 gal with bottled water to a 3 gal with tap water with conditioner in it, she was fine yesterday and earlier..
in the .75 i made daily 100% changes with bottled water and never had a problem, it was only recently that i switched to tap water.. i am almost positive she is dying because of the tap water.. every single one of my fish i have ever put in tap water with conditioner died because our water is VERY chlorinated... but every betta i ever had that lived in bottled water lived for years...
is there anything else i can do to help her??
she definitely seems more lively than she was since i put her back into bottled water.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 
briser

update: she is in the bottled water qt tank.. she is swimming around, i added plants and she is playing in the plant and gaining some color back, she also ate 2 pellets..

any advice??
Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
peachesxo

good to hear she is improving.. what dechlorinator are you using? generally tap water is the best thing to use... try Seachem's Prime as a dechlorinator it's really good.
What temp is the water she's in at?
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I'm glad she is feeling better. Bottled water doesn't have a lot of the minerals and nutrients fish need. It does seem like there might be something wrong with your tap water; maybe you could look into reverse osmosis water. It still has the nutrients fish need, but it will be safer than your water. A lot of people on this forum have recommended it for people who have water quality issues. Many local fish stores will sell jugs of it for a pretty low price.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 
briser

The water she was in was 78 * and the water she is in now is close to the same temp..I was using nutrafin dechlorinater.
I will have to look into the water you are talking about, LolaQuigs.

One thing I noticed when she started to swim around in the qt tank is that she is not using her right pectoral fin... there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, it looks normal and identical to her left one.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 
briser

Update: she has gained so much color back!! She is still swimming around or laying at the bottom and she still isn't using her right fin much. It's 1am so there's not much I can do now until morning.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 
briser

update: when i woke up this morning i was relieved to see she was still alive, although she is gaining her color back she is still not herself.. she is either laying at the bottom or swimming around the top.. she is eating fine but she is having trouble swimming.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

hm

is your household water softened?
How much conditioner are you using in the tap water?
Does the conditioner treat chloramine? Chloramine is chlorine AND ammonia.
Do you know what your water district is? (state city and local)
Are you using an unwashed, only rinsed, bucket for water changes?
What kind of temperature control do you have in the tank/bottle and what is the make of the tank? (for example, Marineland Eclipse 3 can shoot to 85 degrees with the light on and no heater)

I endorse the Prime use, its 2 drops per gallon minimum dose to treat the water then add 2 drops per gallon per day in the tank. The stuff rocks.
I've heard of people who use ten drops per gallon pre-treat, won't bother the fish in the least.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote