Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #11 
Martinismommy

I agree it can get expensive to buy a quality Betta......But in the long run it can be less expensive when you don't have all the health issues......

I sometimes have fish out of show parents up for adoption.....These are not going to breeding homes these are pets....Shipping in the spring is under $15.00 for priority......At my Petco they charge $15.99 for HM's......
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #12 
Slipstitch

The thing is that we can't even blame the company itself for this, it's the people working there that's a problem. The Krestwood Petco by me is amazing, while the Bridgeton one is so abysmal(the one this post is about)
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #13 
wildmagic713

I'd love to buy a fish from a breeder, but I can't find any around me. And I'm running on a high school student's budget and if it weren't for how expensive shipping is, I'd buy from a breeder overseas. But when the shipping is more than the fish, I can't justify that when it's just a hobby for me and I have other things I need money for :P

I agree that fish care is really important, and I wish that these places took better care of their fish (All the stores around me but PetSmart take great care of their Bettas), but sometimes people just can't avoid it.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #14 
Slipstitch

So... I couldn't help myself. I went back and rescued the one fish that was healthy enough to be saved. When I went back, they had actually pulled all the sick and dying fish(except the ones with minor fin rot) and had put out new, healthier ones. I'm currently treating the newby for fin rot. I'll prolly make a post later if anyone wants updates. I just couldn't leave him there... :/ My self control is pathetic.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #15 
fleetfish

I'm sticking to my local LFS. They have amazing stock, especially CTs. It's where I got Jinhai, Mars, and Quicksilver (who is my only and first local breeder betta that I know the name of the breeder, he's a Rosetail). There are at least five petsmarts I can easily bus to, but I'm finding it's just not worth it any more since they've slipped down hill in care - except one, which is still awesome and it's where I can get my 2.5g tanks. For some reason I'm just paranoid about shipment from aquabid *sigh*
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #16 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
The thing is that we can't even blame the company itself for this, it's the people working there that's a problem. The Krestwood Petco by me is amazing, while the Bridgeton one is so abysmal(the one this post is about)
I'll keep that in mind, I've never been to the crestwood one!

The petsmarts/petcos I go to are sometimes good, sometimes bad; I guess it all just depends on who happens to be working that day....The bettas at the pet supplies plus near me all have crystal clear water and look much healthier than many petsmart bettas I but their cups are smaller.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #17 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
I'll keep that in mind, I've never been to the crestwood one!

The petsmarts/petcos I go to are sometimes good, sometimes bad; I guess it all just depends on who happens to be working that day....The bettas at the pet supplies plus near me all have crystal clear water and look much healthier than many petsmart bettas I but their cups are smaller.
Good to know I'm not the only stl person with a love for Bettas, lol. I haven't been to the Crestwood one, but all of my friends who have pets go on and on about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #18 
wildmagic713

You're right about being unable to blame the companies.

They can only do so much. The idea of a petstore is to provide the healthiest fish and animals in general. However, it's up to the employees to take care of the animals, and sometimes they're lazy bums.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #19 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmagic713 View Post
You're right about being unable to blame the companies.

They can only do so much. The idea of a petstore is to provide the healthiest fish and animals in general. However, it's up to the employees to take care of the animals, and sometimes they're lazy bums.
I wanted to strangle the fish department guy with an air hose.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #20 
wildmagic713

LOLOLOLOL :)

I know what you mean. I can't stand my PetSmart but the cups at my local PetCo are crystal clear and the Bettas are all healthy.