Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #1 
Viani

Exclamation What's going on?!

My baby Cesan, I think has problems swallowing her food. I don't know what it is, but It seems like the food gets stuck, and I can see the bottom of her 'chin' area pop out a little. She can't do anything, and she just sits there with the food hanging out of her mouth. I'm really worried and I don't know what to do! It has happened before, but she managed to fix it and was normal... This time however she kinda 'choked' on it for about 5 minutes... She'd stop swimming and tilt over with the food still hanging out of her mouth. And then she'd resume swimming taking in as much oxygen from the surface as much as possible.

Does anyone know what this is?
She's a really tiny betta, ever since I got her, which was the reason why, and I don't know.. it was only a couple of blood worms. I only feed her once a day too. D:
Viani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
karlhague

Were they freeze dried bloodworms? Frozen or live?

Does she do a similar thing went eating pellets?

The trying to spit food out and re-eat it usualy means the foods too big for their mouth, its their way of making things smaller.

aS for the enarly choking that sounds like shes being a typical betta and trying to eat more than she can handle, Try cut the worms down into smaller pellets before feeding.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 
Viani

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Were they freeze dried bloodworms? Frozen or live?

Does she do a similar thing went eating pellets?

The trying to spit food out and re-eat it usualy means the foods too big for their mouth, its their way of making things smaller.

aS for the enarly choking that sounds like shes being a typical betta and trying to eat more than she can handle, Try cut the worms down into smaller pellets before feeding.

They're just freeze-dried blood worms, and I usually make sure they're small pieces before giving it to her. I think maybe the pellets are a bit hard and they kinda inflate once they've softened... She usually doesn't have problems with those, just the blood worms.
Viani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #4 
turtle10

Then break the pellets up too.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote