Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #21 
turtle10

Do his eyes look odd in those pics? They look like they are sticking out a litte, but it could just be the angle.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #22 
Vandroza

no, it's not the angle, they are bulging...
I hadn't noticed that before... time to figure out what that is...

and the Flexibacter columnaris actually looks a lot like what he's got, so we'll probably need to go get antibiotics as soon as we can...
Vandroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #23 
turtle10

It is probably pop-eye.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady

That would be my guess.....he has multi problems going on and that tells you that he is most likely going into a system shut down soon....sadly not a lot can be done once they reach that stage....bacterial.....at this point I would even switch to high does Epsom salt and heavy tannins...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

If u decided to treat with medications The site is the site
http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

Someone sent me that site. And they recommending TETRACYCLINE API which is gram positive and gram negative. And it really helped me before. I mixed it also with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE.
The think I only treated when symptoms first started.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #26 
Vandroza

So we decided that the fish was getting so stressed out in quarantine that it wasn't helping at all and moved him to his full tank. He perked up within just a few minutes, and is still going now. He has started eating again, and actually swims around. Despite continuing treatments, he is not getting better, and the loss of color is still rapidly spreading. We have decided to continue keeping salt in his water and doing frequent water changes, but not to add medications or anything. If he recovers we will be thrilled, but we don't want his last days to be highly stressful because of quarantine like it was.

My new issue is that I don't want to spread what he has around, so I'm wondering what we need to do about the tools we use for a water change that have been in his tank. We have a second tank that needs a water change now, but I really don't want those fish to get sick too. Can we clean the tools somehow, or will we need to get new ones?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #27 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
If u decided to treat with medications The site is the site
http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

Someone sent me that site. And they recommending TETRACYCLINE API which is gram positive and gram negative. And it really helped me before. I mixed it also with FUNGUS ELIMINATOR BY JUNGLE.
The think I only treated when symptoms first started.
The site is wrong but you've got the right medicine. Jungle's Fungus Clear.
Nitrofurazone/furazolidone are used to kill even flesh-eater, they are not actually an antibiotic but a mutagenic material to which single cell organisms have no autonomic defense.

Minocycline is gram negative and will work, tetracycline will simply overload the fish's kidneys in this situation. Maracyn-2.

This infection is commonly carried by bugs and live foods. If you feed live/dried foods you must run mineral level NaCL salt in a cycled tank.

You will be sterilizing his tank and the things in it when he's gone, just take the carbon out and do a full drain then add straight tap water. Hot water faucet tap water on the tools and buckets should do the trick fine, just stick em in and run them over after it gets hot. Shame we can't do that to aquariums. Using a quart of highly salted water and a brush to scrub off any deposits works too.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-27-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #28 
Thunderloon

Antibiotics... some of my thoughts right now since I'm treating the early outbreak of this specific disease in my tank.

Antibiotics are expensive, useless if the wrong type, and often are not a complete treatment but they are a second bullet you can fire at diseases.

I honestly can't tell you that any of them will work, aquatic antibiotics are poorly stored and don't have their quality and concentrations regulated by laws. When I use antibiotics I'm treating quite a few fish, a risk I had to accept when I decided to do community tanks and a sorority.

I've never had Jungle's Fungus Cure turn a fish into an elephant OR kill them even at 150% of dose but I have had it fail to treat because I didn't get to it fast enough.

For a single fish I don't believe the expense of triple-sulfa, kanamycin, maracin-2, or any of the actual antibiotics are worth it unless you know precisely what you're doing and get them in fast.
I get by with melafix, pimafix, lifeguard and Fungus Clear on my singly-tanked boys. I own no aquariums without mineral level epsom salt and surface water levels of NaCl salt. (mineral level means trace, like a drop of it). I keep the salt between a teaspoon per ten and a teaspoon per five gallons mix. Bugs get in a lot in Florida.

I'd say keep him company and be ready for him to go away. An odd thing that Betta do sometimes is get better just so they can die. Most my boys have done this. Pheech and Dart made bubble nests the night before they left, bubble nests are a happiness thing not a health thing. I commonly see my girls suddenly heal the tears in their fins then I find them dead a day or so later as well. Clown Tail healed back from no fin at all to a nice mild blue crest all around.

I think we've decided your friend has a non-septicemia internal tissue infection, there will be stiffness and a little swelling around it and the flesh will turn necrotic. He likely doesn't feel the infection sites.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-27-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #29 
Vandroza

thank you.

is this something the snail can get? he's still in the tank because I wasn't sure what to do with him. Can I run a bunch of declorinated water over him and then put him in my other tank?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #30 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Get the snail out. Snails are sooo sensitive to meds. No, it will not contract columnaris.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote