Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 
nerdyninny

Betta looks really different

Hi folks,

My betta, which I left at home for 3 days while I went on vacation, looked a little sick when I returned. He just did not look normal, and was much colorful and happier before.

Background:
1) New betta from Petco, very lively when I first brought him home
2) 2.5 betta tank, quick-cycled using Nutrafin cycle
3) Water conditioned
4) Ammonia was a little high after I got home. So I did a 50% water change immediately. I also put some extra prime in the water itself to lower the existing ammonia.
5) Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, all normal now. PH is 8.5. Temp is constant 78 degrees.

Based on what he looks like in the picture, what should I give him for medication/treatment? He's exhibiting symptoms like listlessness, floating at the bottom of tank, or near surface of water, hiding/lying sideways inside an empty shell on the bottom of the tank, wont eat / tries to eat but then spits out food, clamped fins, and looking paler than before.

What should I do now?

I've attached a picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by nerdyninny; 02-24-2011 at 07:26 PM.
nerdyninny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you change? Do you use conditioner other than the quick cycle thing? Generally, chemicals made to speed up cycling don't really work and can be dangerous, I don't know about this particular brand. However a conditioner that removes chlorine from the water is very important.

He looks like he has some pretty bad fin damage. Does he have a filter? If so, how strong is the current? Sometimes the filter can damage fins. Also, be careful that the decor isn't too rough (if it can snag pantyhose, it can rip fins). It could also be from tail biting, which is a stress behavior. More info on water change schedule, etc. will be helpful.

The lying sideways and floating makes it sound like he could have swim bladder disorder, which is usually caused by bloating. What/how much/how often do you feed?

I've never dealt with swim bladder disorder, but I've heard epsom salt is very helpful in treating it. Maybe someone who's had more sbd experience can give you more info on how to do it.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #3 
nerdyninny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you change? Do you use conditioner other than the quick cycle thing? Generally, chemicals made to speed up cycling don't really work and can be dangerous, I don't know about this particular brand. However a conditioner that removes chlorine from the water is very important.

He looks like he has some pretty bad fin damage. Does he have a filter? If so, how strong is the current? Sometimes the filter can damage fins. Also, be careful that the decor isn't too rough (if it can snag pantyhose, it can rip fins). It could also be from tail biting, which is a stress behavior. More info on water change schedule, etc. will be helpful.

The lying sideways and floating makes it sound like he could have swim bladder disorder, which is usually caused by bloating. What/how much/how often do you feed?

I've never dealt with swim bladder disorder, but I've heard epsom salt is very helpful in treating it. Maybe someone who's had more sbd experience can give you more info on how to do it.

--I have been doing daily water changes since I first put him in his tank (one week ago), except for when I left for 3 days over the weekend.
--I use Tetra water conditioner to condition the water before putting it into the tank
--I used the filter that comes with the Betta Bow 2.5 gallon tank.
--The decor is all from the Petco. The plants are all natural.
--I may have overfed him (16 pellets over 3 days, spread through the day) on the first three days I got him. But again, I didnt feed him for 3 days after that.
--He can swim around fine if he wants to, and right side up. He doesnt lie on his side all the time, just that one time inside the shell.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 
turtle10

I don't think your tank was cycled. If it was ammonia and nitrite should have been at zero.

When you used the quick-cycle stuff was it before or after you had the betta in there? Because without an ammonia source an living bacteria that was in there (which there probably wasn't) will have died off. The quick-cycle stuff is generally a rip off. Cycles take at least a few weeks to complete.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
nerdyninny

so what should i do? what treatment should I give to fish?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #6 
turtle10

I can't tell you what treatment to use because I don't know what he has. He sounds like he has some SBD issues, but from what I can see in the photo it looks like he has fin rot. I there anyway you could get a clear photo?

Have you done a water change yet?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote