betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #1 
briser

Unhappy Ready to give up.. I don't know what else to do :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets & Dried bloodworms for treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning & 2 pellets at night.. half a blood worm after water changes.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I was going to do twice a week but my tank hasn't been set up long enough for one yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I was going to do 2 - 50% changes.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, I am using bottled water until I can get the reverse osmosis water.. No dechlorinater can fix my tap water lol.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She lost lots of color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She just sits at the top kinda sideways instead of swimming around a lot like usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning, but this is the second time it happened.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got her Valentine's day so I'm not sure.

So, this is the second time this happened in two weeks.. I had her in a .75 gal (with bottled water) and I bought a 3gal, lots of plants and hidey holes, I set it up with tap water and nutrafin conditioner but my tap water is VERY bad, you can smell the chemicals off it when you pour it, my family doesn't even drink the tap water, we drink bottled water. Last week, I had the tank set up and adjusted her to the water. After two days she was completely white (usually purple) and she was on her side on the top. I quickly prepared a QT tank with bottled water (since I knew tap water was the issue) and I put her in it. She livened up within 10 minutes, got her color back within a day.. So after about 5 days in the QT tank I decided to try the 3gal again.. This time setting it up with the SAME WATER that was in her .75 gallon. She has been in the tank since wednesday and already she is at the top... I don't understand at all.. It's the same water as the tank she was in before, lots of places to hide, it's heated, filtered... What am I doing wrong? Could it be possible she doesn't like all the space to herself? I don't know what else to do..
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

How did you clean/treat the tank after you took the lil girl out the first time? It sounds like the tap water is awful, I'm sorry! It might have been slightly been absorbed by the gravel or any live plants, and if you just rinsed it or let it air dry it might not have been enough to get the chlorine out. If you baked the rocks cleaned them with anything, did you rinse them enough? :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 
cjayBetta

I feel your pain... my poor boy Chewie has been having issues aswell.. been treating him for anything I can think of but no result. Sometimes the things these fishys get just dont make sense.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #4 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
How did you clean/treat the tank after you took the lil girl out the first time? It sounds like the tap water is awful, I'm sorry! It might have been slightly been absorbed by the gravel or any live plants, and if you just rinsed it or let it air dry it might not have been enough to get the chlorine out. If you baked the rocks cleaned them with anything, did you rinse them enough? :)
The first time I put everything under HOT HOT water twice. (did it once, let it dry, did it again). I have no live plants either.

Cj, good luck with your little guy :(
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what to tell you! Do you have any way to test the water parameters? And if you still have the water in the QT tank, is there any way you could test both to compare? The girl might just be in shock... sorry I don't have anything better to tell you!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #6 
ansalong

Sorry :-/ it's so frustrating when you can't figure out what's wrong.

Are you sure the tank is 78*? Are you checking with a thermometer or trusting a pre-set heater?

Do you know what the temp was in her QT tank? If it was too different it may be temp shock.

Can you raise the temperature at all? It seems like while 78 is in their range they like it warmer, around 80 or 82. I'm not sure that this would cause such a drastic reaction but it's worth a try.

If you can, definitely check water parameters of both, as Bettaluver4evr suggested.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote