Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 
kathstew

Exclamation I'm worried...

Ok. I got two "female" betta's about three days ago. Long story short, I was very misinformed, and told that two females could be housed together. Despite my research I decided to listen to the sales woman. Big, stupid mistake. I have two, a pink and a blue. The pink betta was flaring and chased the blue betta around a lot. Then they seemed to chill out. But the flaring and chasing started up again. I've now separated them into separate bowl. They were together for about two days, one night, before I separated them.

I posted pictures of them in the general betta chat, and have now been informed the pink female may actually be male. The pink betta did have a ovidepositer, or what appeared to be one, so i was confident it was female. Then I found out developing males may show signs of them. The pink betta is larger and has bigger fins than the female.

The pink betta has not tried to build a bubble nest as of yet.

Is there any chance they could have mated in the two days they were together? I am very worried, as there is no way I would be able to handle a "pregnant" fish.

Last edited by kathstew; 02-25-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added detail
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
Ok. I got two "female" betta's about three days ago. Long story short, I was very misinformed, and told that two females could be housed together. Despite my research I decided to listen to the sales woman. Big, stupid mistake. I have two, a pink and a blue. The pink betta was flaring and chased the blue betta around a lot. Then they seemed to chill out. But the flaring and chasing started up again. I've now separated them into separate bowl. They were together for about two days, one night, before I separated them.

I posted pictures of them in the general betta chat, and have now been informed the pink female may actually be male. The pink betta did have a ovidepositer, or what appeared to be one, so i was confident it was female. Then I found out developing males may show signs of them. The pink betta is larger and has bigger fins than the female.

The pink betta has not tried to build a bubble nest as of yet.

Is there any chance they could have mated in the two days they were together? I am very worried, as there is no way I would be able to handle a "pregnant" fish.

no he would build a nest of bubbles and she and he embrace he squueezes her eggs out and fertilzes them and then puts them in the bubbles.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 
kathstew

Ok. Thank you so much! I knew about the embracing, I was worried they might have done that while I was sleeping. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #4 
Abby

nah he'd have a nest and be running her off it lol
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Your safe....females don't get pregnant...they are egg layers with external fertilization.......parental care by the male.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #6 
kathstew

Ok. Thanks. I know I sound like an idiot, and I apologize for that. I was just never expecting something like this. I was told I had two females, and now I am scrambling for information.

I appreciate all of this. And I will get better, I promise. :)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 
Abby

its a learning curve :)
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Abby,

"its a learning curve :)"

It sure is! I learn something new every day here...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by here fishy fishy fishy View Post
abby,

"its a learning curve :)"

it sure is! I learn something new every day here...

lmao
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
Ok. Thanks. I know I sound like an idiot, and I apologize for that. I was just never expecting something like this. I was told I had two females, and now I am scrambling for information.

I appreciate all of this. And I will get better, I promise. :)
No...you don't sound like an idiot and no need to apologize....we don't know things unless we ask.....but kinda cool now that you get to watch a young male develop into a beautiful creature......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote