Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #11 
skywillig

Even his genetics being poor? My betta breeder friend said he wouldn't last much over a year, that's why I' asking. He says he's already old.
skywillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #12 
LolaQuigs

Oh yeah, that was definitely dropsy. There are a lot of places you could find a cheap gallon or 2 gallon container, it doesn't necessarily have to be a fish tank. Kritter Keepers are sold at pet shops, usually in the reptile section. They are very inexpensive and come in many sizes.

How do you know he has bad genetics? Where did you get him? If he's just a common pet store betta, they can still live 2-3 or even more years when properly cared for.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #13 
skywillig

Where I live there are no stores selling reptiles.
I have never seen a critter keeper, and I own many rodents.
The only place we can get glass tanks (even terrariums) is on fish stores.

My friend probably knows exactly where my fish came from (before the pet store I bought him at), he's very active on the breeding community on the state... But all I have is his word because I'm a newbie at keeping fish, my thing really is rodents.

I can save up to buy another tank in a couple of months (right now is tough because I just expanded my hamster cages), but then when this fish passed I would be left with a lot of useless fish material.

Can I be certain that this second fish does not have "dropsy"? I already cleaned his water today and only fed him once, he didn't eat it all though. How many times a day should I feed?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #14 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywillig View Post
Where I live there are no stores selling reptiles.
I have never seen a critter keeper, and I own many rodents.
The only place we can get glass tanks (even terrariums) is on fish stores.

My friend probably knows exactly where my fish came from (before the pet store I bought him at), he's very active on the breeding community on the state... But all I have is his word because I'm a newbie at keeping fish, my thing really is rodents.

I can save up to buy another tank in a couple of months (right now is tough because I just expanded my hamster cages), but then when this fish passed I would be left with a lot of useless fish material.

Can I be certain that this second fish does not have "dropsy"? I already cleaned his water today and only fed him once, he didn't eat it all though. How many times a day should I feed?

Please don't take this the wrong way…

How long has your friend been into bettas? Because it seems odd that he would say bettas can live in half gallon tanks.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

I advise you to...
1. Stop listening to that friend. They know about as much as you do, it seems.
2. Stop feeding the poor thing that many pellets. The pet store people know about as much as your friend seems to, and by that I mean not a whole lot.
3. Clean that tank every other day, every two max.
4. Fast him for 2-3 days and check for improvement. That picture, I take it, was the one who died already? If he looks the same as your alive one, Im sad to say, he will likley die. That doesnt mean you should give up on him, though.
Make him comfortable.

Btw-His genetics are fine, Ive had a "crappy" bred petstore boy live for 4.5 years. His life isnt being cut short by breeding, its being cut short by you.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #16 
LolaQuigs

Hopefully your guy now doesn't have dropsy. Does he look bloated or have a distended belly? Is he "pineconing" like your other fish did? A picture of your current fish would be really helpful.

You don't have a petsmart or petco nearby? If not, you could even use household storage containers as an inexpensive solution until you can afford a nice tank. Someone on the forum had a bad experience with chemicals leeching from a cheap knockoff brand, but Rubbermaid containers are perfectly fine, and they come in a very wide variety of sizes.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #17 
peachesxo

Wow wow wow wow fast him for a few days, do a 100% water change right now (make sure the temps are the same!) and cut him down to 6 pellets a day, 3 in the morning, 3 at night, (i feed my betta 4 pellets a day and sometimes switch one or two up for flakes or bloodworms every now and again) 14 a day is a death sentence.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #18 
BettaHeart

How is your fishy doing so far?
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #19 
skywillig

Hello. No, my fish doesn't look like the dead one. His size is okay, he is just very inactive.
I have changed his water 100% a couple of hours ago.

We don't have any of those stores or brands you mentioned, I'm in Brazil, don't forget that. I do have some storage boxes I can keep him in if you think that's better than the current aquarium, they're made of plastic.

About my friend, he has been breeding Betta for 6 years now, I think. He's a biology student. But okay I'll stop listening. XD

I'll go take a picture now, if that helps.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #20 
skywillig

This is a picture with my camera's flash:

This is a picture with no flash and my cellphone light shinning on top: