Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 
tfranc

Exclamation Emergency!!! My bettas hoped tanks and tore their fins into pieces!!!

Please help! I changed their water yesterday and added their new needlepoint divider so that the water could evenly get heated and today I see that my younger betta somehow pushed up the canvas from the bottom and went into the other side where my older betta (recently got over fin rot) was and I assume they got into a huge fight and tore their tails completely... I just got one out of fin rot and his fins were fully healed now they are torn to pieces, and neither will eat please help me, what can I do to make them better?

Thank you
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 
tfranc

I am so afraid that the one that just got over fin rot can die? please help
Old 02-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Uh oh!
1) Make sure there is no way this could happen again. No holes, no openings, no sliding pieces. :)
2) Aquarium salt is supposed to help alot with damaged fins. I don't know the correct dosage though, you might have to ask someone else.
3) I don't know if you do them now, but partial water changes keep the ammonia level down and keep clean fresh water circulating in the tank. :)
4) PM OFL (old fish lady) for any other advice. She's an expert.
Good luck to you!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 
Euphie101

I had a similar thing happen to me, and it's rather tramatizing. I would say to seperate the 2 bettas, and keep them in clean water to promote fin growth. I'm not too sure on what to do about your betta recovering from finrot. Just keep him in clean and warm water. I'm not sure about anything else though.

Good luck, I hope your bettas heal, let us know how they are doing.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #5 
tfranc

guys please if anyone can tell me what to do, my older fish just started developing white cotton like things on both his lower/upper lip and his damaged fins.
What can I do?
I have AQ salt, and antibacterial food too should I feed him that?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #6 
turtle10

Uh oh, that sounds like cotton mouth/columnaris :/

Do the aquarium salt treatment and feed him the anti bacterial IF it is in fact columnaris. Go to google images and search for columnaris/ flexi bacter/ cotton mouth disease betta fish.

If the images look like what your betta has give him the anti bacterial pellets. Although columnaris looks like a fungus because of its cottony growth, it is actually bacteria.

Quarantine him immediately and do a major water change on the main tank to reduce chances of your other fish getting it, and put some aq salt in there too. In the quarantine tank lower the temp down to 76 degrees (bacteria thrive in warmth). If you have a gentle air stone or anything else that can generate a bit of water movement put it in the quarantine tank also (bacteria also like stagnant water).
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #7 
DeadMemories92

I agree with Turtle10, that does sound the Cotton Mouth. Separate the bettas immediately and add aquarium salt to their tanks. Put the one with the cotton like symptoms in a dark room but keep the temperature around 72-76.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMemories92 View Post
I agree with Turtle10, that does sound the Cotton Mouth. Separate the bettas immediately and add aquarium salt to their tanks. Put the one with the cotton like symptoms in a dark room but keep the temperature around 72-76.
No. Bettas should not be kept in water less than 76 degrees. Lowering the temp below 76 could make him even sicker.

And it doesn't have to be a dark room. Just make sure the light isn't too direct or extreme.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

I Think if flex it needs to be low, but no, not that low. keep it 74 at the lowest, maybe?. Its also a good idea to keep the temp slightly lower considering they fought. They probably bit eachothers mouths and could develop infections. Separate them immediatley, into a dark place. I'd seriously pm ofl about this...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #10 
baylee767

Oh, BTW, the dosage for aquarium salt is 1 tsp/gallon for some cases, but it can be up to 3 tsp per gallon in extreme cases. You're supposed to add it every day for a maximum of 10 days, do lots of big water changes for pristine water quality, and as stated above lower the water temp. I'd do it to 76 or 77, too low can be dangerous.

Don't know much about funguses. Try adding some metholyn blue (We do bathes instead of adding it directly to the tank)(course I know nothing about cotton mouth) if it is legit cotton mouth to help, and/or what ever OFL says. Also, she might reccomend putting saran wrap or something over the top of the tank to make the air humid, seeing as it's mouth problems and the air above could be harsh to them.

Also, since their fins were torn up, are they still swimming okay?

Last edited by baylee767; 02-28-2011 at 04:20 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote