Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 
alidawn15

additions to current setup?

10gal heated, waiting on a filter and plants

1 veiltail betta
2 mystery snails
3 ghost shrimp (2 others waiting to have babies)

Would it be safe to add cories or neon tetras after the plants and filter are set up for a while? Could I even add both if not no biggie we'll choose somehow.

If the snails eat my plants though they're outta there for good.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Mystery snails (Pomacea diffusa) do NOT eat healthy plants. However, the gold varieties are often confused with other species of their family (Ampullaridae). The ones that eat plants voraciously would be the canaliculata complex. Pomacea canaliculata, Pomacea haustrum and Pomacea insularum are all of cana complex and all three eat plants. They are illegal to obtain anywhere except within your state so I doubt you'll find these snails anyway. The diffusas however are legal to buy anywhere from egg clutches to adults as they are proven to be very sensitive and will refuse healthy plants. You need to be sure to supplement them with foods you give your fish as they rely on supplemental foods for their survival. Ideal temp for them is 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit.

What are the pH and hardness levels? I hope your water is hard and alkaline for the snails' sake. Soft acidic water will simply cause their shells to erode quickly leaving them quite vulnerable to physical damages.

The cories and neons are absolutely fine.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 
shinybetta

I would only add the cories if you have sand. Also about the cories, go for pygmys or pandas. They stay small and are great for ten gallon tanks. Many other corydoras need 15 gallons minimum.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #4 
alidawn15

I have no idea what my water is at this point because I don't have a test kit and the nearest lfs is too far away. The snails have part of a cuttlebone in the tank and are being fed algae wafers. My gold snail seems to think it's a fainting snail since it closes up at every sign of the flashlight. The first time Dobby tried to check out a snail it jumped at him so now he turns tail every time one gets close. I've got two female shrimp with eggs in a half gallon quarantine tank because I don't know what exactly to do with them though?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp babies are hard to feed. I would suggest putting the females back in the tank if you don't have a food source.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #6 
alidawn15

Please define food source? Also, wouldn't they be in more danger with my Betta?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 
shinybetta

The betta would just eat the babies. The problem with raising them is that they hatch as larvea, not miniature adults. They are very small. I don't know what food they eat, maybe microworms? Research "how to raise ghost shrimp" on google.

Tags
betta, shrimp, snails