Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 
ireland

Female betta laying eggs without fertilizing?

Hi, (I'm very new to this, and this forum)

I'm trying to breed my two betta, i did all the procedures: half-full 10 gallon, plants, caves, a jar to home the female within the tank for a few days while the male build his nest; but then today when I released her the male chased her around for a bit (the usual reaction im guessing) then it finally look like they were going to spawn. But I was wrong, she went ahead n just laid her eggs without the wrap of the male and just ate her eggs.. Should i just keep her in there and hope that maybe those eggs were bad and she was just getting rid of them so that the good eggs could come out? or is she just a bad betta and i need to try a diffferent pair?

Thank you
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 
ireland

im sorry if i am just asking something that has already been ask before, but i would greatly appreciate an answer.. thank you

oh just wondering if this might be of any help:

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 10

and i am using Artison's betta spa (not sure if that stuff is any good or not but i got sucker'ed into buying it)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #3 
ireland

(repeat) sorry
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 
Luimeril

my female, Caroline, did that. :d she's in no way a breeding fish, but she often releases her eggs and eats them up. it's pretty normal, and nothing to be worried about. i'm sure she'll egg up again soon. :3 Caroline released MORE eggs just two days after releasing her last batch. >.> it's like, Eggs, no eggs, Eggs. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland View Post
Hi, (I'm very new to this, and this forum)

I'm trying to breed my two betta, i did all the procedures: half-full 10 gallon, plants, caves, a jar to home the female within the tank for a few days while the male build his nest; but then today when I released her the male chased her around for a bit (the usual reaction im guessing) then it finally look like they were going to spawn. But I was wrong, she went ahead n just laid her eggs without the wrap of the male and just ate her eggs.. Should i just keep her in there and hope that maybe those eggs were bad and she was just getting rid of them so that the good eggs could come out? or is she just a bad betta and i need to try a diffferent pair?

Thank you
If you don't know how he is supposed to react then you shouldn't be breeding.

Did you condition them? Do you have fry food?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #6 
monroe0704

As long as the female isn't injured you can keep her in there up to 4 days or so. That way you can monitor them and see if the spawning window has passed or if she'll fill up again....
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......its not uncommon for the female to drop eggs prematurely and eat them in the spawning tank-sometimes this can happen when they are kept isolated too long in sight of the male.....I would leave her in the tank with the male for now.....make sure you have plenty of places for her to get away from him and get out of his line of sight....good luck with you spawn....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #8 
ireland

yes i have condition them with freezed dried bloodworms, live worms, and Hikari Betta pellets; feed them twice a day of two combination of the three (FD bloodworms in the morning, hikari in the afternoon; Hikari in the morning, live worms in the after noon, etc)

And yes I do have fry food, a culture of infusoria culture (eggs ready to boiled to mix the yolk with the infusoria), and BBS eggs ready to go whenever i see that they had spawned and the eggs have hatch (because i read that the nutrition in baby shrimp wont last longer than 24hours of its birth because it'll use up its own nutrition to support itself)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #9 
ireland

Thank you old fish lady, yes i do have some java ferns in there with them and a cave ornaments
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are ready....now its up to the breeders to get the job done...laffs.....how are they acting today?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote