Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
amp7594

quick question

i am trying to breed bettas so i was wondering if i could put 2-3 females with the male and he can choose the one he wants to mate with because the female i have with him right now is just hiding and nothing positive is happening
amp7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

No you cannot add multiple females in a spawn tank. They will fight for dominance.

If you describe your spawing set up, your pair, and how you condtioned them I'm sure we could give you more info.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 
amp7594

i have a delta tail male with a female i picked up from my lfs my tank is 10g with 6inches of water and a plastic plant and a floating reptile thing i found in the store for his bubble nest and it worked also the tank is heated around 75
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 
beat2020

Ok first of all,please do more research! If you don't know the answer to the question you're then you're not ready enough to be breeding.

Here are some great links to get your research started

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp

http://www.bettaterritory.nl/

There are also some great threads on breeding on this forum.

To answer your question, no you cannot put 2-3 females in a tank with a male. That's just asking for trouble and you can end up with injured or dead fish.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

You need more hiding places, and a much higher temp for spawning. Most bettas won't even think about spawning until the temperature is closer to 80-84*F.

How long did you condition the fish and with what foods? Unconditioned fish will take longer to spawn and some may not spawn at all. Approximately how old are the breeders?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 
amp7594

i conditioned them untill the female got vertical lines and got fat from the eggs an i gave them live black worms and not quite sure about age
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #7 
turtle10

Do you have a good heater?
What foods do you have for the fry?
Do you have containers for the fry?

I really, really suggest you do more research. You didn't know that bettas need warm temperatures and that is basic information, so I doubt you are ready to breed, no offense.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I agree, it sounds like you need to do more research before you take on this task...it can be fun and rewarding to spawn and rear your own Bettas....more research and being prepared will increase your odds of success... and this will make it even more rewarding...even experienced breeders can have failures...being ill prepared could end in disaster.......

You can do multi females with a single male to get multi spawns, however, you need to be successful with 1-male and female first before you take on this task...it could end badly for all involved...and I am sure that is not your goal....

Do some more research and then ask questions on what you don't understand and I am sure one of the experienced breeders on this site would be happy to help/answer your questions.....

And to add...Welcome to the forum....would love to see pics and hear more about your breeding goals and Bettas....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 
amp7594

thanks for the advice
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

The only way I seen this work is when my friend took his koi fish pond and turned it into a betta pond. When I came over to his house one of the male bettas had a bubble nest kicking and was trying to breed with one of the females. There was 10 females and 8 males..
I never asked him if they ended up spawning, But even if they did the other bettas would eat the fry and stuff.. Anyway like everyone else said, DO MORE RESEARCH!!!!!
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote