Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #1 
MattD

Betta constantly attacking reflection. Exhausted?

My orange/red Betta is constantly attacking his reflection. His gills are flared, as are his fins, and he rather viciously nips at the glass. Then after several minutes of this, he will ascend to the top and gasp several times. I am sure he's exhausting himself.

What am I supposed to do now? I can't exactly explain to him what's going on.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #2 
Tycoon

That's what my betta does too. I guess we can't really do anything about it because they think it's another fish and they wanna attack it.
Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #3 
tophat665

The best thing to do is something to kill the reflection. Generally, you only get a reflection on the sides of the tank that re facing a dark area, and that is generally a sde of the tank that you don't look at often. With that the case, the easiest thing to do is to hang white paper up. That will pretty much kill any reflections. Any light colored background will do it, but white will do it best. If you crumple it up first, it even gives an interesting pattern. If that doesn't float your boat, then print out a picture of some nice underwater plants and use that instead.
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 AM   #4 
MattD

He's doing this with the front of my tank. I imagine he can see himself because the face of my tank is facing my blinds, which are a dark green.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #5 
tophat665

Not much you can do about that, I guess. Open the blinds? Maybe put up some sheers?
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote