Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #1 
Lilyzmom

Making sure I understand

I want to begin by saying I suffered from the apparently common illusion that Bettas are "easy". My husband and I bought a 1 gal tank for my daughter over the weekend with the intentions of getting her a goldfish or a guppy or another 'starter' type fish. The lady at the pet store suggested for a 1 gal tank that a Betta was the way to go. It does have a filter and a bubler but no heater. Since we brought 'Rainbow' home he has been very lethargic. Honestly, a time or two I thought he was dead but, no he just doesn't move. From what I understand reading information on this site this is caused by him being cold. Is that correct? Also, I didn't realize that we needed to be changing at least a portion of the water even with the tank being filtered. Is there anything else I am missing? Are those the reasons he is so lethargic? And lastly, is it ok to keep him in the 1 gal tank until I can get a larger one? Thank you so much for your assistance.
Lilyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

In short, no. Get a bigger tank, one thats 1.5 gallons+ and a HEATER. You need these. You dont need a filter ,but it helps. A filter in a one gallon does nothing.
You need water conditioner, too. Ill post a link to my new fish thread.
Btw- never listen to those people.
They know about as much as your daughter probably does...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078
Please check this as well as the Betta Care 3.0 sticky.

It wouldve been best for you to research beforehand... The only "easy" pet to care for....
...Is a plant.
:(
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Sorry for so many posts, Im on my phone! @_@ He is probably lethargic because he is cold and his water quality is bad. If you didnt use water conditioner, this is even more likley. Its like him swimming in poison without it.
Warm his tank up, either put a warm lamp above the tank or put a heating pad under it on low and watch the temp.

Do a water change now if you have dechlorinator. Acclimate him as per in the last few posts in my thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #5 
Luimeril

dude, PLANTS aren't easy to care for. >3> *doesn't have a green thumb*

i hope Rainbow feels better soon! bettas are pretty easy to care for, but aren't, by any means, the easiest pet. if you can't go out and buy him a tank now, can you turn the heat on in a closed room? that's how i cared for my ill boy, Weiss, until i could get him a heater.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
dude, PLANTS aren't easy to care for. >3> *doesn't have a green thumb*

i hope Rainbow feels better soon! bettas are pretty easy to care for, but aren't, by any means, the easiest pet. if you can't go out and buy him a tank now, can you turn the heat on in a closed room? that's how i cared for my ill boy, Weiss, until i could get him a heater.
right! I find plants difficult.

There is no such thing as an "easy" pet. Every pet needs care, medication when it's ill..and research...(even snails!...I found this out...)

I hope your fishy Rainbow feels better. I would get a mini heater when you can and a thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...9027035&sr=8-1
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote