Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #11 
LisaLB24

I used my babies blue nose sucker bulb to suck out the gunk from the bottom tonight and then poured out most all the water. This worked much better but still just seemed really stressful. I might clean tomorrow and Thursday and then Friday night add the 5 girls to the tank. I think it will be less stressful for all of us :) I'll try to rearrange the tank and add the sick girls in after they've healed and if it doesn't work, I'll just have to let them me solos! Thanks for all the advice! And yes, I will be buying a new nose sucker for the baby!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #12 
SmokeNLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Agree with this. Less I have some sort of toxic bacteria killing off my fishies, I much prefer to do more frequent changes at 20pct 3-4 times a week as opposed to one big one.
I do agree with this on a filtered tank. On an unfiltered tank, if there are no 100% changes, ammonia builds up very very fast. it doesn't matter if you do 20% every other day. When there are no bacteria to help break down ammonia and fish waste is allowed to stay in the tank, the production of the ammonia is faster. Uncycled tanks need to have 100% changes and the substrate rinsed to get all of the nasties out. I would never have an uncycled tank with no 100% changes. All of my uncycled tanks get at least 1 100% change a week, usually with a 50% change in between.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote