Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #51 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Generally, sororities end in failure. Don't feel bad, I too have quit. Nothing against sorority keepers, but after mine failed I realized that they will have a better life on their own, unless in a large tank. If kept as babies possibly, but still, it is like living your entire life in a house bickering with your sisters. You will be stressed and not as happy.
I have no doubt others, by whatever successful formula they have discovered - large numbers, related fish, starting with babies, etc - are keeping healthy, contented, sorority tanks and I commend them whole-heartedly. It does take an extra ordinary effort though and I found I didn't have all the same "qualities" some of the better, more experienced Betta people obviously enjoy.

I went into this feeling good about the endeavor, thinking I was once again about to improve the living conditions of a bunch of fish that were in need of rescue from a bad situation (the store). When I failed, which I almost never do, the immediate, knee-jerk response was to blame the fish. Being as I was reporting on the situation in real time, something I am relatively new at doing, I ran to the computer to air out my frustrations in the heat of the moment without first thinking it through. This was a mistake and I said some things I shouldn't have. And of course, once something is on the web, you can't take it back. All I can do now is take the hate, ask for forgiveness, and move on.

Bettas are wonderful pets. I have kept at least 5 males till they died of natural causes at ripe old ages and thoroughly enjoyed them. I have one now in his own 5 gallon heated and filtered tank. I always thought I would get around to breeding some and raising the babies. This experiment, if it had been successful, would have eventually lead to that end.

I am not against Bettas. I am just unhappy about having to face the truth that one is all I will ever be able to care for at a time. You see, I have a thing about keeping all my fish in heated, filtered tanks. And I just don't have the space to provide this to more than a couple of solitary Bettas. Though I would love to keep dozens, I will not resort to bowls and vases.

Ralph
RCinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #52 
sjones

it's called fun with divided tanks! Arg! I just failed at a divided ten gallon, not going as I had planned...;)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #53 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, what a thread! RCinCal, I understand your frustration. Because of that frustration, you said some things you didn't really mean. We've ALL done that. IMO, bettas aren't for everyone. Some people don't want just one fish in a tank. They would rather have a tank full of pretty fish swimming around happily. Bettas are solitary fish and do best on their own, IMO. Some can handle tankmates and some can't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #54 
RCinAL

Update

My computer has been messed up. I just got back online and wanted to provide an update though I know it is kinda late.

The red female that was so beaten up stayed in my community tank and is doing great. She is almost completely healed and is perfectly content and happy. I thought there would be scarring, but now I am not sure of it. She will live out her life here in some great conditions.

The other females were nursed back to complete health in a matter of days and were returned to the store where all have found new homes.

As for the "experiment" - I know others are having success with Betta sororities through various means, and I tip my hat to them, but I just don't have the stomach for it. As much as I wanted to keep multiple Bettas, my heart is with community tanks and I will now stick with different species, though I probably will always keep one or two Bettas as conditions permit.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #55 
Cravenne

RC..I think you should have gotten a pat on the back for realizing it wasn't for you, healing any wounds that were present and returning the fish so they can perhaps have better homes.

IMO...it's horrible that you were pounced on. You shared your experiences here for others to read and learn from. You are entitled to your opinions and handled the situation the best way you knew how. Anyone pondering the idea of a sorority will hopefully read this and take note that you are an experienced fishkeeper who, with all the aquatic knowledge 38 years brings you, were unable to provide a sorority situation because...well..IMO....they are a bad idea.

So many posts here are about female bettas in need of treatment because they fought and were injured.....possibly dead because those particular fishkeepers wanted to toss them all into a tank together. Most know they shouldn't be kept together, that they prefer being alone and yet so many decide to 'rescue' them from their 'tiny cups', toss them into a tank together and watch day after day as they fight eachother to death.

If someone can start a thread crying about losing one of their females who was attacked by another(after being the one to toss them in a tank together), I see no reason you shouldn't be PEACEFULLY allowed to post your feelings about ending the violence quickly.

So..

In conclusion....

I'm sorry it didn't work out as you had hoped. Live and learn and most importantly, someone else might learn. AND..I'm offering an apology for any harsh words you received. As someone who lurks around here daily, it was embarassing to read.

Sidenote--I keep cichlids as well! One of my labs actually spit out the babies this time. 2 survived and are hiding sneakily....it's so amazing to watch that process. I have two more females holding as well..they are like rabbits!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #56 
RCinAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
RC..I think you should have gotten a pat on the back for realizing it wasn't for you, healing any wounds that were present and returning the fish so they can perhaps have better homes.

IMO...it's horrible that you were pounced on. You shared your experiences here for others to read and learn from. You are entitled to your opinions and handled the situation the best way you knew how. Anyone pondering the idea of a sorority will hopefully read this and take note that you are an experienced fishkeeper who, with all the aquatic knowledge 38 years brings you, were unable to provide a sorority situation because...well..IMO....they are a bad idea.

So many posts here are about female bettas in need of treatment because they fought and were injured.....possibly dead because those particular fishkeepers wanted to toss them all into a tank together. Most know they shouldn't be kept together, that they prefer being alone and yet so many decide to 'rescue' them from their 'tiny cups', toss them into a tank together and watch day after day as they fight eachother to death.

If someone can start a thread crying about losing one of their females who was attacked by another(after being the one to toss them in a tank together), I see no reason you shouldn't be PEACEFULLY allowed to post your feelings about ending the violence quickly.

So..

In conclusion....

I'm sorry it didn't work out as you had hoped. Live and learn and most importantly, someone else might learn. AND..I'm offering an apology for any harsh words you received. As someone who lurks around here daily, it was embarassing to read.

Sidenote--I keep cichlids as well! One of my labs actually spit out the babies this time. 2 survived and are hiding sneakily....it's so amazing to watch that process. I have two more females holding as well..they are like rabbits!
Thanks for the kind words, and cichlids are so much fun. Glad you too are enjoying the experience of keeping them. I accept full responsibility for my negative comments. I can take some well deserved criticism. I have no hard feelings for anyone who commented.

Cheers,

Ralph